Standards Engineer, National Aerospace Standards (NAS) program
The Standards Engineer supports AIA’s National Aerospace Standards program. A significant portion of the NAS library contains industry part standards and specifications for components and fasteners that are used in commercial and military aircraft, spacecraft, shipbuilding, and heavy machinery, maintained by the National Aerospace Standards Committee (NASC).
This position provides engineering support to the NASC to maintain the NAS collection through a mandatory 5-year review process. The process includes reviewing 1300 active standards over a 5-year period and assisting the committee to reaffirm, revise, stabilize, or withdraw each standard.
The Standards Engineer is also responsible for managing and responding to technical questions on the NAS standards, maintaining a proposed change log for each standard, and providing technical support to the NASC steering group.
This position reports directly to the Director, Standardization.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
Typical Duties include but are not limited to:
- Reviewing approximately 20-25 standards each month using a set of criteria for the 5-year review, making a recommendation on each standard to reaffirm, revise, stabilize, or cancel, preparing each standard for committee vote, and addressing comments received on the standard during voting.
- Maintaining and updating project information in AIA’s Standards Management Portal (SharePoint environment); responding to comments within AIA’s Higher Logic Workspace.
- Fielding standards related technical inquiries to AIA in a timely way.
Support of the National Aerospace Standards Program Activities as follows:
- Attend and support the NASC meetings 3 times per year.
- Support NASC Steering Committee by conducting engineering research and preparing responses to inquiries from industry in consultation with Steering Committee.
- Assist NAS Manager in review of standards before final publication monthly.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience working as an engineer or standards experience required; additional experience preferred
- Demonstrated project management experience required
- Proven ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with internal and external teams
- 4-year mechanical engineering degree (BSME)
Special Skills or Requirements:
- Capable of creating 2D and 3D CAD drawings
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, and AutoCAD LT, and SolidWorks
- Some domestic travel required (<10% annually)