Associate Building Engineer/Bus Driver
Associate Building Engineer / Bus Driver
Bishop Ireton High School, a Catholic, co-educational, college preparatory high school serving 800 students in Alexandria, seeks an Associate Building Engineer / Bus Driver. The position is responsible for both maintaining the buildings, systems, and infrastructure of the school as well as driving students on field trips, to sporting practices and events, and to/from local transportation hubs as well as. The Associate Building Engineer / Bus Driver is a member of the Operations Department. This is a full-time, 12-month position reporting to the Chief Plant Engineer.
Associate Building Engineer:
- Participate as directed in a comprehensive preventive and corrective maintenance program for the school and supporting buildings including heating, ventilating, and air conditioning systems.
- Participate as directed in basic plumbing, carpentry, electrical, and structural maintenance and repairs of facilities, including general upkeep and operations of the physical plant.
- Assist with the maintenance and upkeep of the grounds in all seasons, including snow removal.
- Assist in maintaining tools, equipment, and materials, including the necessary records & inventories.
- Periodically maintain 24/7 “on-call” status for emergencies or arrange for coverage if unavailable.
- Ensures that the building is safe for all occupants if any unexpected incidents arise (slippery floors, broken glass, etc.).
- Monitors all public areas for cleanliness and safety.
- Assists with event setups and takedowns.
- Other requests and/or duties as assigned.
- Responsible for afternoon bus runs to Alexandria Metro station and other areas as assigned.
- Responsible for occasional field trips during the school day to local sites.
- Responsible for transportation of athletic teams after school and on the weekends.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- A commitment to maintaining the building and systems of the school at a high level.
- A thorough understanding of, and commitment to, safety protocols both on the campus and in our vehicles.
- A proven, spotless commercial driving record.
Working Environment: Physical ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined above, in addition to the following:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to see, talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items up to 75 pounds. Employee is required to drive locally and occasionally on interstate travel. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, night vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The job is performed for the most part in a school setting with frequent responsibilities outside, even in inclement weather. The noise level is that of a typical school setting.
- Valid Commercial Driving License (CDL)
- 2+ years commercial driving experience
- Knowledge and experience with rough carpentry, painting, simple plumbing and electrical work, and basic equipment and facility repairs
- High school diploma (or equivalent)
- Familiarity with or willingness to learn facilities management software/tools
- Experience working in a school environment
Terms of Employment
- Full-time, FLSA Non-Exempt, 12-month employee
- Hours subject to responsibilities of position and frequently requires evening and weekend duty
- Background check and Virtus training
- Valid commercial driver’s license
Start Date: February 2018
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience
Contact: We invite qualified candidates to consider becoming part of our community by submitting a cover letter, including current salary, and a resume with references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Bishop Ireton
Bishop Ireton, a Catholic, co-educational, college preparatory high school in historic Alexandria, Virginia, began its proud heritage of academic excellence in 1964. The school offers a challenging environment and outstanding quality of life, both in academics and co-curricular activities, with a strong focus on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) initiatives. The spirit of community service and giving back is part of everything the school does. Bishop Ireton’s top-tier status is reflected in its talented faculty and staff, who take great pride in seeing virtually every graduate head to college - often to the most prestigious universities and service academies.