External Affairs Associate
The National Women’s Law Center (NWLC) seeks an External Affairs Associate to join its Development team. The External Affairs Associate will help implement our corporate fundraising and communications program for engaging leading businesses, law firms and influencers, in order to raise critical resources for the organization and awareness of our work to protect the rights of women and girls.
The External Affairs Associate will report directly to the Senior Manager of Individual and Corporate Relations. This is an exempt position.
- Overview of NWLC
National Women's Law Center: Expanding possibilities. Eliminating barriers. We are passionate champions of national and state policies and laws that help women and girls achieve their potential throughout their lives- at school, at work, at home, in their families, and in their communities. We are committed advocates who take on the toughest challenges, especially for women who face multiple and intersecting forms of discrimination and women who are low-income – and we make change happen. We are proud to have been on the front lines of virtually every major advance for women since 1972, benefiting women, their families, their communities, and the nation.
- The Role
The External Affairs Associate will help support the growth of NWLC’s corporate and law firm donor base, facilitate engagement with supporters in these sectors and research prospective supporters. This position will also support grasstops engagement and pro bono initiatives. This position will work within the Development Team and will report to the Senior Manager of Individual and Corporate Relations.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the staffing of NWLC’s Leadership Advisory Committee, a key group of ambassadors for the organization, through assistance with planning and executing meetings, events, calls and communications;
- Researching and developing a pipeline of law firm and corporate donor prospects and assisting in cultivation and stewardship of existing donors;
- Supporting development of corporate partnership proposals and reports;
- Managing and tracking a system for donor relationships and supporter engagement activities and working intern-departmentally to facilitate information sharing;
- Supporting external outreach and project coordination for pro bono partnerships and grasstops engagement, including the Center’s emerging celebrity strategy;
- Monitoring the impact of NWLC’s work and preparing prospect communications that reflect a compelling case for engagement with leaders in the business and legal communities;
- Supporting execution of fundraising events as it relates to sponsorship solicitation and activation, as well as other cultivation event support as appropriate;
- Key Relationships
- The External Affairs Associate will report directly to the Senior Manager of Individual and Corporate Relations. The Associate will collaborate with the Senior Vice President for External Affairs and Vice President for Development and key program staff, as well as the President and CEO, Vice President for Communications, and colleagues in Development and Communications. The Associate will oversee relevant projects delegated to relevant department Assistants and/or Interns.
- The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following attributes:
- Genuine passion for an understanding of the mission of the National Women’s Law Center and women’s rights issues;
- At least two years of experience in the nonprofit development, communications or other related positions. Experience working with a major advocacy organization and/or with an corporate fundraising or external engagement a plus;
- Experience in Raiser’s Edge (or similar databases) is highly desirable. Fluency in MS Office programs, including Outlook and Excel, is required;
- Strong research, and organizational skills, with strong eye for detail, and a thoughtful, analytical approach to managing complex tasks; project management skills preferred;
- The ability to be self-directed, provide solutions and work well with competing priorities, meet deadlines, and manage workflow processes involving multiple people;
- Professional demeanor and comfort with engaging in written and verbal communications with high-level donors and prospects;
- Sound judgment and ability to exercise discretion when dealing with confidential information regarding the Center’s business and sensitive donor information;
- Creative, exceptionally driven, and passionate about results;
- A reliable team player;
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule when required.
Compensation will be both competitive and commensurate with the successful candidate’s background and experience.
- How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter describing your qualifications, resume, and list of references. Electronic submissions are preferred. Please send materials to firstname.lastname@example.org and include position title in the subject line. Hard copies may be addressed to: Human Resources Department, National Women's Law Center, 11 Dupont Circle, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20036, FAX: 202-588-5185. Applications accepted until position is filled.
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities, women, men, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, veterans, and LGBTQI individuals.
- Reasonable Accommodations
As noted above, NWLC welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email us at email@example.com or you may send the request by mail to:
National Women’s Law Center
ATTN: Human Resources Director
11 Dupont Circle NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036