Software Development Manager, Platform Engineering
Arc Publishing is a product engineering group at The Washington Post. We build software to meet the needs of The Post, while also making the same software available to other publishers around the world via software as a service.
The Arc suite of products provides publishers with the tools they need to author, manage and publish content to meet the ever-changing demands of news readers. Arc is quickly becoming the leader in publishing-focused software development.
Built 100% on AWS, the Arc platform follows a microservice architecture. All of our software teams use devops to deliver and maintain products. Our processes are lightweight, which allows our teams to innovate quickly to bring new ideas to market. New features and products are deployed to our customer base every day.
We are currently looking for a tech-savvy people leader to join our growing global engineering team. In this role you will manage a team of software engineers that build newsroom focused web applications on AWS. Our newsroom apps create an engaging experience that allows for productivity and speed of publishing.Responsibilities
- Manage devops teams of software engineers that design, implement, instrument, test, deploy and support their own code.
- Coach team members on a daily basis, set goals and conduct performance reviews.
- Be responsible for the overall planning, execution, and success of complex technical projects in an Agile process.
- Own the full lifecycle of your team's QA and Operations.
- Have a deep understanding of how our products are built and sometimes contribute technically to projects.
- Be a steward of application performance and reliability.
- Assist teams to maintain a balanced support workload.
- Work with the product owner to maintain a roadmap that meets the demands of our customers.
- Turn the roadmap into staffing needs and a hiring strategy.
- Implement a technical strategy that ensures future success of your products and teams.
- Contribute to design and architecture of systems that span multiple teams and/or products.
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- 7+ years experience building highly-scalable customer facing applications.
- 2+ years experience with people management or formal mentorship in an engineering role.
- Proficiency in at least one programming language.
- Experience with multiple database and event processing systems.
- Experience architecting and implementing scalable SaaS web applications on AWS.
- Experience with end-to-end testing frameworks.
- Experience with devops teams that own the full engineering lifecycle.
- Experience analyzing application and cloud environment performance.
- History of improving technical development processes.