Program Chair, Criminal Justice
Program Chair, Criminal Justice
The Undergraduate School
12-Month Collegiate Faculty, Full-Time
Location: Largo, MD
The Undergraduate School (TUS) at the University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks a Program Chair for its Bachelor of Science degree program in Criminal Justice. The new program chair will join one of the largest online institutions in the world, serving a global student population. Working adults, military personnel, and other students around the globe are achieving their academic goals through UMUC's innovative educational options, including online instruction, accelerated academic programs, and classroom-based courses taught during the daytime, evenings, and weekends. UMUC offers on-site instruction in over 150 locations in the U.S., Asia, and Europe, including over 20 locations in the Maryland and greater D.C. area. One of 11 degree-granting institutions in the University System of Maryland (USM), UMUC is the largest public institution of higher education in the U.S., serving over 92,000 students annually, including over 70,000 undergraduates and 20,000 graduate students.
UMUC strives to reflect the diversity of the global community within which it exists. Cultural differences are valued as essential to the educational process and working environment. Candidates with an understanding of and appreciation for diversity are especially encouraged to apply.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Developing project-based and competency-oriented curriculum in Criminal Justice
- Learning outcomes assessment and program improvement based on data
- Recruitment, management, development, and support of program faculty;
- Fostering and maintaining professional connections in the field of Criminal Justice
- Supporting students in the program
- Other job-related duties as assigned
- This is an academic administrative position; program chairs teach one course onload each year
Required Education and Experience:
- Master's degree in Criminal Justice or related field from a regionally accredited college or university required
- Managerial experience in the Criminal Justice field
- At least three years teaching at the university level required
- Experience in distance and/or adult education
- Must be comfortable using information technology and related teaching and management tools
- Experience in presenting effectively to both large and small audience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment and the ability to foster and develop internal and external relationships to further develop the program
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Terminal Degree
- Administrator in (or association with) multiple areas of criminal justice (law enforcement, courts, corrections, private security, etc.)
- Experience in working with professional associations and organizations in various criminal justice fields
- Experience teaching online and traditional formats
- Knowledge of competency-based approaches to teaching and learning
- Experience with curriculum design and development
- Experience in adaptive and other technologies
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you are required to create an account prior to completing your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to check on the status of your application or to apply to additional jobs.