Education Support Specialist III
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Academic Advisor - Division of Child, Family, and Community Engagement
The George Mason University Division of Child, Family, and Community Engagement (CFCE)--within the College of Education and Human Development (CEHD)--invites applications for an Academic Advisor who can work with Early Childhood Education, Counseling and Development, and Human Development and Family Science undergraduate and graduate students. This is a full-time benefited staff position designed to help prospective and current students meet their educational and career goals. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: The Academic Advisor works with undergraduate and graduate students with a focus on helping them choose an appropriate course of studies and then pursue that academic program in an efficient manner. The Academic Advisor works closely with the CFCE Division Director and Academic Program Coordinators as well as with other student service professionals in the Collegeâ€™s Student and Academic Affairs Office. Specific responsibilities of this position include:
- Facilitate information sessions and attending events for prospective students;
- Assist students with academic course planning and scheduling;
- Participate in outreach events;
- Facilitate new student orientations;
- Communicate advising information to students;
- Help students initiate academic actions (e.g., course substitutions, transfer credit inquiries and evaluations, course waivers);
- Maintain an advising record for each student;
- Identify and assist students who are academically at risk; and
- Serve as liaison to university and college advising committees.
Occasional weekend activities are required in conjunction with Masonâ€™s Admission Office, college recruitment efforts, and academic program events and orientation schedules.
- Masterâ€™s degree (preferably in higher education administration, counseling, or a similar field), or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience;
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, time management, and coordination skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication capabilities with a diverse audience;
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a flexible and professional manner;
- Proactive problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and ability to learn new tasks quickly; and
- Ability to work one to two evenings a week until 7:00 pm (days of the week flexible).
- Professional academic advising or counseling experience in an educational setting, a proactive work orientation, and a strong commitment to facilitating the work of students and their instructional faculty; and
- Familiarity with Ellucian Banner, Student Success Collaborative, and Blackboard.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02771z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :