Regulatory Scientist, GS-0601-14
WHO MAY APPLY: Open to all United States citizens
LOCATION: This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Office of Regulatory Affairs (ORA), Office of Regulatory Science (ORS). This position will be filled in either one of the following locations: Rockville, MD or Jefferson, AR. Location will be determined upon selection.
Salary range are listed below and includes locality pay.
$112,021.00 - $145,629.00
$101,409.00 - $131,833.00Learn more about this agency
Occasional travel - 5% Domestic
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. Pre-employment physical required: No
5. Drug testing required: No
6. License required: Valid driver's license
7. Mobility agreement required: Yes
8. Moving expenses authorized: May be authorized
9. Immunization required: No
10. Relocation Incentive authorized: No
11. Recruitment Incentive authorized: No
12. Student loan repayment incentive authorized: No
13. Annual leave for non-federal service authorized: May be authorized
14. Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
15. Please be advised that this position may be subject to FDA's strict prohibited financial interest regulation and therefore, may require the incumbent of this position to divest of certain financial interests. Applicants are strongly advised to seek additional information on this requirement from the FDA hiring official before accepting this position.
Applicants must meet all qualifications requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Experience directly related to the position to be filled which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position.GS-14: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience at least equivalent to the GS-13 level in the Federal service which can be identified through experience with: developing and implementing processes and procedures to identify needs for scientific and related support equipment, techniques, and methodology to enhanced quality, quantity and timeliness of scientific program accomplishments; leading and conducting program evaluations to assess program performance. Examples include thorough knowledge, skills and abilities to develop, establish, and implement scientific regulatory programs within agency laboratories and other public health and regulatory partners.
DOCUMENTING EXPERIENCE: In accordance with Office of Personnel Management policy, federal employees are assumed to have gained experience by performing duties and responsibilities appropriate for their official series and grade level as described in their position description. Experience that would not normally be part of the employee's position is creditable, however, when documented by satisfactory evidence, such as a signed memorandum from the employee's supervisor or an SF-50 or SF-52 documenting an official detail or other official assignment. The documentation must indicate whether the duties were performed full time or, if part time, the percentage of times the other duties were performed. It is expected that this documentation is included in the employee's official personnel record. In order to receive credit for experience in your resume that is not within the official series and grade level of your official position, you must provide a copy of the appropriate documentation of such experience as indicated above.
EDUCATION STATEMENT - Individual Occupational Requirement: This position has an education requirement. You must submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades) to document that you have met the education requirement. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package; however, official transcripts will be required prior to beginning employment. Most colleges and universities offer unofficial transcripts online - please check your school website to obtain a copy quickly. If you have Federal status and have never been on an appointment in this occupational series, you must submit your transcripts as indicated above. If you have Federal status and are currently or were previously on an appointment in this occupational series, you do not need to submit transcripts at the time of application. Instead, you should submit an SF-50 showing that you were on an appointment in this occupational series.
Bachelor's degree with a major study in an academic field related to the health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE: If you are claiming veterans' preference under competitive procedures, you must submit a copy of your military discharge certificate (DD-214 member 4 copy), official statement of service from your command if you are currently on active duty, or other proof of eligibility. To be acceptable, the document must show character of service. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference (SF-15) and the required documentation specified on the reverse of the SF 15. Preference will be granted based on the documents received. For more information visit:http://www.fedshirevets.gov/hire/hrp/vetguide/index.aspx
CAREER TRANSITION PROGRAM: This program applies to Federal workers whose positions have been deemed 'surplus' or no longer needed, or an employee has been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position. For information on how to apply and what documents to submit as a CTAP/ICTAP eligible, go to:
SELECTIVE SERVICE: The Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that all male applicants born after 12/31/59 who are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, be registered or they are not eligible for appointment to this position. For further information concerning Selective Service requirements, please visit: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to -career-transition/. http://www.sss.gov/.
In the last five years, based on the closing date of this announcement, IF you served or you are currently serving as an Executive Branch political, Schedule C, or Non-career SES appointee, HHS/FDA may be required to obtain approval by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) prior to beginning employment. You can find out if you have held one of these appointment types by looking at your Standard Form 50s in your Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF), in Section 5 where the legal authorities are listed. If you have served or are currently serving, you must provide a copy of your SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, documenting this appointment. In addition, you will be required to respond to the question in the assessment and certify your responses to the questionnaire.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
BASIS OF RATING: Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of the following quality categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified
Category rating procedures do not add veterans' preference points, but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-09 level or higher).
Your qualifications will be evaluated and rated on the competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics) listed below. You do not have to respond to the KSA's separately, but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the competencies/KSA's.
1. Knowledge of regulatory policies and objectives
2. Scientific technical knowledge within the regulatory field
3. Ability to communicate writing
4. Ability to communicate in orally