Senior Product and Strategy Advisor
This opportunity is also open to Status eligibles under Announcement 17-CFPB-286-MP. Please refer to that announcement for details on open period, eligibility, and how to apply.
This position is located in the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), Office of Consumer Response. Consumer Response hears directly from consumers about the challenges they face in the marketplace and empowers consumers to take more control over their financial lives by answering questions, handling complaints, and sharing data. Consumer Response brings consumers' concerns to the attention of companies and informs the Bureau about business practices that may pose risks to consumers to support the Bureau as it supervises companies, enforces Federal consumer financial laws, educates consumers, and writes better rules and regulations.
See our tips on the application process and printable checklist to ensure each step of the application is completed.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
The experience may have been gained in either the public or private sector or volunteer service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your résumé.You must meet the following requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement.
Specialized experience: For the CN-53, you must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the CN-52grade level in the Federal service (For qualification purposes, the CN-53 is broadly equivalent to the GS-13). Specialized experience for this position includes:
-Experience in Product development, market analysis and reporting within the consumer financial services industry; AND
-Experience writing reports about consumer financial products or services; AND
In addition, candidates must also demonstrate at least two (2) of the following:
• Experience leading proactive independent research projects to identify industry insights and best practices and to create applicable policy or strategy recommendations;
• Experience establishing and measuring progress against goals, objectives, and key performance indicators tied to organizational priorities;
• Experience engaging with consumer advocacy groups, financial industry trade groups, or federal or state financial regulators; OR
• Experience applying quantitative and qualitative analytical methods and techniques to conduct analyses of an organization's programs, operations, and challenges and to develop and recommend new strategies, policy options, and solutions.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- We offer opportunities for telework.
- We offer opportunities for flexible work schedules.
-Ethics: CFPB employees are subject to government-wide ethical standards of conduct, financial disclosure requirements, and post-employment prohibitions, which applicants may review at www.oge.gov. In addition, CFPB employees must comply with the Supplemental Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection (5 CFR 9401), which, among other things, prohibit an employee or the employee’s spouse or minor child from owning or controlling a debt or equity interest in an entity supervised by CFPB. CFPB’s regulations also impose restrictions on the outside activities of certain Bureau employees, including examiners and attorneys. Applicants may review the CFPB ethics regulations and a summary of the regulations at www.consumerfinance.gov. Questions regarding these requirements and prohibitions should be directed to the CFPB Ethics Office at EthicsHelp@cfpb.gov.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation.
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your résumé, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your résumé includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a “not qualified” determination.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Subject Matter Expertise, Analytical Thinking, Written Communication, and Oral Communication. Category rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of three quality level categories, A, B or C depending on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, and training related to this position. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
If you meet the minimum qualification requirements and receive a score within the top tier of candidates on the self-assessment questions, you will then be required to participate in a written exercise. Upon receiving an email notification from a CFPB representative (via email) to participate in this exercise, applicants must acknowledge with a response within three business days or he/she will be removed from consideration for this position. It is advised to occasionally check your “junk mail”/SPAM folders within your email to ensure you do not miss a message. The CFPB representative will then schedule a time for the applicant to receive instructions and complete and/or submit the exercise. The entire process must be completed by the applicant within 48 hours from the initial contact from a CFPB representative or he/she will be removed from consideration. Candidates may be asked questions about their work sample during the interview process. The work sample will be evaluated by a panel of subject matter experts (SME) on the following factors:
- Analytical Thinking
- Written Communication
- Providing Quality Results
Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference-eligibles in that category. Qualified preference-eligibles with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest category.
Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)) you must be assigned the middle category or better to be rated as “well qualified" to receive special selection priority.
To preview questions please click here.