Assistant Executive Officer - NRC Executive Office
The National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and National Academy of Medicine work together as the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine to provide independent, objective analysis and advice to the nation and conduct other activities to solve complex problems and inform public policy decisions. The National Academies also encourage education and research, recognize outstanding contributions to knowledge, and increase public understanding in matters of science, engineering, and medicine.
The NRC Executive Office provides leadership of the program divisions and executive and administrative units of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. This leadership role includes policy development, strategic and short-term planning, and oversight of both program and administrative operations.
As one of two Assistant Executive Officers, this role provides an opportunity to work with the senior leadership of the nation’s premier source of advice on matters involving science, engineering and medicine to address issues that are important to the well-being of the nation and its people.
The Assistant Executive Officer is responsible for assisting the NRC Executive Officer and Deputy Executive Officer, in collaboration with the other members of the NRC Executive Office staff, in fulfilling their responsibilities, focusing on leadership of the program divisions and their activities. This includes development of the institutional policies and procedures that apply to these activities, management of program planning processes, and oversight of programmatic activities.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. With the Executive Officer and Deputy Executive Officer, provides leadership for the development and implementation of strategic plans and initiatives for the program divisions and executive and administrative units of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine.
2. Works with the Executive Officer and the Deputy Executive Officer to develop and maintain the policies and procedures that apply to the studies and other activities of the program divisions. Identifies gaps and weaknesses in current policies and procedures. Develops and promulgates new and updated policies and procedures. Provides training on the policies and procedures that apply to the studies and other activities for the staff of program units.
3. In collaboration with NRC Executive Officer, Deputy Executive Officer, and other members of the NRC Executive Office staff, supports the processes for the oversight of the program divisions and their work by the NRC Governing Board and its Executive Committee and Committee on Classified and Restricted Activities.
4. Participates with the Executive Officer and the Deputy Executive Officer in the oversight of the work of program divisions in developing and carrying out studies and other activities. Provides advice to staff on the application of policies and procedures to these activities. Assists the Executive Officer and Deputy Executive Officer in overseeing compliance with institutional policies and procedures in the conduct of studies and other activities and assuring the quality and timeliness of the reports and other products that are produced by these activities.
5. May serve in an acting capacity in the absence of the Executive Officer and Deputy Executive Officer for programmatic oversight.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
An understanding of the program work of the institution. The ability to work collaboratively with staff across the institution. The ability to work effectively at all levels of the institution, including elected leadership and volunteers. Strong written and verbal communication skills.
If you already have an account created with the Academies, to apply to this position, click “Add to my Jobs” with your login information. If this is your first time applying with the Academies, please click “Apply for this position” below.