Sr. Data Analyst / Developer
This position will require expertise with SQL and strong understanding of relational and data-warehouse databases. It is highly analytical in nature and requires problem-solving skills and the ability to propose and implement multiple solutions to a business problem such as data cleanliness, import or extraction of data, or data warehousing. This position is a part of the Business Intelligence team, which includes reporting, analytics across all systems (CRM, financial, among other), and the integrations between systems. This analyst will support the mission of data- and analytics-centered decision-making. Specific tasks may include de-duping, archiving, appending, updating, importing, exporting, and transforming data for use in reporting tools or elsewhere.
Responsibilities will include documenting, implementing and enforcing database usage standards such as naming of fields and use of fields, as well as creating and maintaining documentation. This position also includes the preparation of raw data for inclusion in other databases or our warehouses (data appends, extraneous datasets). It will be important to employ independent judgment to handle multiple tasks within given priorities and must be able to communicate calmly and effectively with end-users and IT staff to gather requirements, facilitate discussion among diverse groups of business users, convey strategies and supply support and training.
Specific Skills Include:
- Detailed and analytical thinker with an interest in data, patterns, and producing repeatable results.
- Expertise with SQL and understanding of procedural coding techniques
- Motivated individual who can take on multiple projects at once
- Interest and experience with automation of database tasks
- Hands on experience with SSRS, SSIS and working knowledge of SSAS
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work on a team as well as be an independent thinker.
- Seeking 6+ years of experience as a data analyst or equivalent
Duties and Responsibilities:
30% Analyze KC databases to identify where data cleanliness is poor and propose and/or implement an approach to improve data hygiene. Work with business to identify proper approach to cleansing activities. Act as a data steward to work with business users to understand maintenance of data cleanliness. Design and implement strategies (reports, processes, etc) that will support the data stewardship activities. Skills required include strong database skills, SQL development skills, SSIS and automation, and best practices of data cleansing.
30% Support KC departments with sophisticated data needs and develop solutions that may involve MS Access, Visual Basic (will retire with KCMaster), SQL Server Reporting Services, SQL, SSIS, SSAS and SharePoint. These solutions may include reports, lists, integrations with other systems, etc. to support requests.
20% Support BI team in support and maintenance of Business Intelligence tools. Develop and maintain technical and end-user documentation of systems and applications in the area of responsibility, including data cleansing logic and processes.
20% Support CRM team in training and supporting users of our CRM (Tessitura) and extractions. Knowledge of CRM is required. May include a rotation of being on-call for Box Office, approximately 1x per month.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field
- 5 years’ experience in a software development environment
- Significant hands-on experience writing stored procedures, triggers, and functions for Microsoft SQL Server as well as familiarity with database design standards.
- Knowledge of SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services)
Minimum Skills and/or Knowledge Required
- Attention to detail
- Problem analysis and problem solving
- Well organized and detail oriented
- Proven ability to work within a technical team as well as function within a larger team of colleagues across the center.
- Participate in after-hours on-call coverage
- Occasionally available nights and weekends to perform upgrades and other work
The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts is a world premier performing arts organization and our nation’s cultural center. Diversity is a critical component of our mission, vision, and values. Our staff exhibits a wide variety of perspectives and experiences which enable us to foster and strengthen an environment of diversity and inclusion.