Satellite Systems Engineer (w/Polygraph)
Responsible for the design and development of voice, video, radio-frequency, and/or data communications networks. The Satellite Systems Engineer shall support the day-to-day technical operations of the customer's satellite communications resources.
1. Provides expert level analysis of voice, video, radio-frequency, and/or data communications networks, including planning, designing, evaluating, selecting, and upgrading operating systems and protocol suites and configuring communication media with concentrators, bridges, and other devices.
2. Plans network layouts and configures systems to user environments.
3. Analyzes network topologies and traffic and capacity requirements.
4. Supports the acquisition of hardware and software as well as subcontractor services as needed.
5. May provide technical support and troubleshooting to users.
6. May perform network administration duties.
7. Provides guidance and work leadership to less-experienced network personnel and may have supervisory responsibilities.
8. May serve as technical team or task leader.
9. Maintains current knowledge of relevant technology as assigned.
10. Participates in special projects as required.
Bachelors Degree in Engineering or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, or work/military experience.
This position will be located in Herndon, VA, with work also being completed at a customer site in Chantilly, VA.
This position requires extensive OCONUS travel (up to 40%) to include war/conflict zones.
A customer weapons qualification or the ability to obtain a customer weapons qualification is required.
Duties, Tasks, and Responsibilities
Lead level "hands on" work experience in support of installations, repair, and troubleshooting or maintenance of communications systems or equipment. Must have the technical knowledge to solve complex problems, understand the interrelationships of circuits, and be able to exercise independent judgment in performing tasks in support of communications systems or equipment.
Personnel in this labor category are considered experts in the field. Lead level experience working with DSCS and/or Commercial Satellite Terminals to include:
* X, C, KA, Ku-band, Tri-band Satellite Terminals
* FDMA, TDMA, IP Type satellite modems
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Network Topology - Knowledge of theory and practice underlying satellite and LAN/WAN network operations.
- Policies and Procedures - Knowledge of the customer's policies and procedures relating to the design, upgrading, and operating/maintaining networks.
- Security - Knowledge of the customer's Communications and Information Technology policies and practices.
- Computer and Electronics - Knowledge of the customer's satellite and computer/electronics systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operations of telecommunications systems.
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors.With approximately 32,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services.GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.