Human Resources Assistant (Military/OA)
- Full Time
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position:
The mission of USMEPCOM and the Baltimore MEPS is to process individuals for enlistment or induction into the armed services, based on DoD-approved peacetime and mobilization standards.You will serve as a Human Resources Assistant in a Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) by providing administrative support to the Reception-Administration Control Desk (RACD), Record Maintenance and Accountability, and Enlistment Processing to include fingerprinting of applicants. This work involves the execution of specific set of rules as defined by USMEPCOM regulations and by individual service (recruitment) requirements.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial period may be required.
- Appointment to this position is subject to a background investigation to determine your suitability for Federal employment.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required. .
- This position requires shift work to provide coverage on evenings, weekends, holidays, or special situations.
- Due to the nature of this position, employees are required to work both planned and unscheduled overtime.
To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: reviewing entrance documents, assembling applicant enlistment record packets, and maintaining records. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-04).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you may qualify if your education meets the definitions below:
1. Four years of education above the high school level obtained in an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college, college or university.
2. Combination of Education and Experience: A combination of education and experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. To compute the percentage of the requirements, divide your total months of qualifying experience by 12. Then divide your semester hours of undergraduate education in excess of 2 years by 60. Add the 2 percentages. Note: For the purpose of qualifications, 1 full year of undergraduate education is equivalent to 30 semester hours.) (Note: You must attach a copy of your transcripts.)
Selective Placement Factor: In addition to meeting the experience or education requirements of this position, applicants must also show possession of typing proficiency of 40 words per minute (WPM). WPM are based on a 5-minute sample with three or fewer errors.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Attention to Detail
- Computer Skills
- Personnel Action Processing and Recordkeeping
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please submit your foreign education evaluation with your application.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference, see the information in the Military Spouse Preference Under Delegated Examining Procedures information sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 50 Military Personnel Management position.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay.
- This position is a TERM position. It is time-limited and may be extended up to a maximum of six years. This position may be converted to permanent career or career-conditional appointment without further competition as long as all requirements are met. To be eligible for conversion, employee must complete at least 2 years of current continuous service under a term appointment in the competitive service AND employee must have a current performance rating under such term appointment of at least fully successful or equivalent.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. See Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) for more information. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website. Read more Security clearance Not Applicable