Medical Support Assistant (Office Automation)
The Defense Health Agency, National Capital Region Medical Directorate (NCR-MD) is the future of Military Medicine- a partnership in World Class Medical Healthcare. The Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, the National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE), Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, Dilorenzo Clinic and the Joint Pathology Center, provide world class medical services to the nation's service members and their families.
About the Position:
This position is located at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Directorate of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Clinic, in Bethesda, Maryland. This department services 3 clinics. Work is generally performed in an office-type of setting (at a computer) in a clinic reception/front desk area. There may be occasional walking to various locations within the clinic or medical facility, occasional carrying of light items such as files, charts, or x-rays, and the position may require standing for prolonged periods of time. Use of the telephone and computer is frequent.
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- This position requires the incumbent be able to obtain and maintain a determination of eligibility for a Tier 3 security investigation or access for the duration of employment. A background investigation and credit check are required.
- This position requires the incumbent to undergo a childcare background investigation and periodic re-investigations since its duties require regular contact with children.
- This position requires the incumbent to have tuberculosis testing and receive a seasonal influenza vaccination unless otherwise exempt for medical or religious reasons.
- A qualified typist is required (40 words per minute).
Specialized Experience: To qualify based on your work experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: scheduling, maintaining, and monitoring patient appointments; ordering patient tests such as x-rays or labs; using automated healthcare systems such as Composite Health Care System (CHCS), Armed Forces Health Longitudinal Technology Application (AHLTA), Surgical Scheduling System (S3), ESSENTRIS, etc. to manage templates and appointments; and preparing administrative reports, graphs, and/or charts utilizing office automation tools such as Excel, and MS Word. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service, GS-05.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Computer Skills
- Health Care Data Entry and Management
- Patient-focused Customer Service
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference, see the information in the Military Spouse Preference Under Delegated Examining Procedures information sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.