Assistant Director for Academics
Reporting to the Director of Northern Virginia Operations of the Intensive English Program (IEP) at the Virginia Tech Language and Culture Institute, the Assistant Director for Academics serves as part of a team of TESOL professionals providing academic guidance, training and mentoring to instructors in the institute’s Intensive English Program. The Assistant Director for Academics advises students, assists in program coordination; conducts and/or coordinates in-service and pre-service training and faculty development; regularly observes and evaluates instructors; revises curriculum and develops new local courses and programs as necessary; reviews, updates and enforces standards (teacher handbook, student handbook, program policies, etc.); coordinates trainee assessment, and; assists in teacher recruitment. As part of the VTLCI’s academic leadership team, the Assistant Director for Academics is expected to stay current on professional literature and present at professional conferences, meetings, and seminars. S/he teaches regularly scheduled classes as enrollment warrants and substitutes for classroom teachers when necessary.
- Master’s Degree in TESOL, applied linguistics, or a closely related area (plus 18 credit hour university certificate in TESOL); you must already possess a master's degree to qualify
- Prior experience in program administration and teacher training
- Supervisory experience
- Experience as an instructor in an intensive English program in a higher education environment
- Ability to work collaboratively with constituencies within and outside the university to ensure program goals are met
- Ability to interact and work effectively with a diverse student population
- Demonstrated commitment to student success
- Ability to communicate effectively in public and give presentations
- Ability to adapt well to unexpected situations and re-prioritize assignments according to changing circumstances
- Effective communication, presentation, organizational, database and time management skills
- Professional activity in TESOL and/or other affiliate groups
- Experience with computer-assisted language learning
- Proficiency in a second language
- Extensive experience overseas living or studying abroad
Must have a criminal background check
HOW TO APPLY
For a full description of the position and requirements, and to apply, please go to www.jobs.vt.edu and search for posting AP0170267. Attach a resume, cover letter, and list of three professional references to the online faculty application.
You MUST apply through the official Virginia Tech job site referenced above. Please DO NOT contact Virginia Tech Language and Culture Institute directly.
Virginia Tech is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution