Network Telecommunications Analyst II
Works independently in the installation, configuration, maintenance and monitoring of the agency mobile devices, kiosks and digital signage. Provides critical infrastructure support during normal business hours and after hours. Has knowledge of basic computer systems and configurations, hardware and software applications and serves as a network administrator to the wireless network. Under the direction and general supervision of the Network/Telecom Analyst IV, performs systems' network maintenance functions and serves an integral role in managing four distinct network environments (e.g., Business, Inmate, Security and Wireless). Responsible for transporting IT equipment in agency-assigned vehicle to offsite locations to install electronic equipment and/or perform various troubleshooting functions, as needed. Collaboratively works with Network/Telecom Analyst I, II, and III positions to cross-train support functions and provide backup as necessary. Performs other duties as assigned.Illustrative Duties
- Provides support functions for assigned agencies;
- Facilitates the installation of cabling and services;
- Reviews, evaluates, and approves work order requests;
- Analyzes and prioritizes agency requirements and designs, implements, and programs software changes accordingly;
- Responds to customer service requests;
- Evaluates systems problems, performs diagnostics on suspected problems, and recommends or implements solutions;
- Assists the help desk in problem determination and solution;
- Oversees network/telecommunications projects related to new construction, agency relocations, and similar actions;
- Coordinates activities with planners, engineers, vendors, and agency management;
- Reviews time frames and cost estimates of requirements and alternatives;
- Schedules vendors and appropriate staff;
- Evaluates projects for cost effectiveness and current and future usability;
- Assists in the planning of distributed local area networks;
- Administers local area networks;
- Plans and implements system security;
- Installs, configures;
- Establishes backup and recovery procedures;
- Installs, repairs, configures, maintains, troubleshoots, and upgrades PC's, LANs, and related equipment and software;
- Performs site inspections to ensure adequate cabling, power and facilities;
- Evaluates capacity, availability, and performance of existing facilities;
- Evaluates the need for and implements migration from one network operating system to another.
- Performs day-to-day network administration;
- Installs and configures PC's and component parts;
- Configures for network operation and proper communication;
- Installs software;
- Maintains system files, databases, and related programs;
- Maintains network security;
- Assures proper operation and maintenance of hardware and software;
- Troubleshoots problems;
- Develops and provides training for users;
- Assesses agency business needs and recommends solutions;
- Maintains system records and documentation;
- Develops, schedules, and provides training for users;
- Provides technical assistance and resources to other staff as needed.
Any combination of education, experience and training equivalent to possession of an associate degree in computer science, electrical engineering, electronics, or a related field; plus three years of network and/or telecommunications experience; or a bachelor's degree in such fields; plus one year of experience in network or telecommunications system design, analysis, installation, and troubleshooting.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Valid driver's license.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, a credit history check, and a driving record check to the satisfaction the of employer.
Experience in any of the following areas is preferred: Hardware, software, and network infrastructure; data and voice communications; kiosk management; configuring secure IOS wireless devices; MDM experience; Windows, Mac, and Linux desktop/server operating systems; mixed server operating system environments; Microsoft SQL Server database servers; Laserfiche imaging and workflow applications; maintain system records and documentation; user training; effective verbal and written communications; customer service orientation.
Must be able to lift 60 pounds, stoop, bend, reach and twist. Must be able to maneuver around office equipment, telephone closets, cabling and conduits, to effectively perform job functions. Must be capable of using computer equipment and tools necessary to complete job assigned. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview and may include written exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.