IT Specialist (INFOSEC) Cybersecurity Threat Analyst
This position is located in the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), Operations Division, Technology & Innovation. This position supports the CFPB Computer Security Incident Response Team (CSIRT). The employee provides technical operations and maintenance support of IT security solutions to support the CFPB’s position as a 21st century agency.
See our tips on the application process and printable checklist to ensure each step of the application is completed.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Specialized Experience for CN-53: To qualify at CN-53, you must have one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the next lower grade/band (CN-52, GS-12 or equivalent) in the Federal service. For this position specialized experience is defined as all of the following:
- experience in IT security, as it relates to IT defense strategies and the protection of IT infrastructure;
- experience in industry and government information security methods, standards, practices, and technologies to analyze system intrusions and mitigate risk;
- experience developing correlation content using security information and event management (SIEM) software to facilitate incident response and analysis of cyber threat/vulnerability data; AND
- experience managing cyber security incident cases to identify root cause, contain unauthorized activity, and provide recommended courses of action.
Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
Customer Service - Working with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolving their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
PLEASE NOTE: Experience may have been gained in either the public or private sector.
You must meet eligibility and qualification requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement.
Education may enhance the skills required for this position; however, education may not be substituted for experience at this level.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This announcement may be used to fill like positions in other organizations within the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- All candidates will be considered without regard to any non-merit reasons such as race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, lawful political affiliation, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, protected genetic information, parental status, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Relocation expenses will not be paid.
- This position is ineligible for bargaining unit representation.
- Ethics: CFPB employees are subject to government-wide ethical standards of conduct, financial disclosure requirements, and post-employment prohibitions, which applicants may review at www.oge.gov. In addition, CFPB employees must comply with the Supplemental Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection (5 CFR 9401), which, among other things, prohibit an employee or the employee’s spouse or minor child from owning or controlling a debt or equity interest in an entity supervised by CFPB. CFPB’s regulations also impose restrictions on the outside activities of certain Bureau employees, including examiners and attorneys. Applicants may review the CFPB ethics regulations and a summary of the regulations at www.consumerfinance.gov. Questions regarding these requirements and prohibitions should be directed to the CFPB Ethics Office at EthicsHelp@cfpb.gov.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your:
2. Responses to the online questions,
3. Required supporting documents;
4. Cover letter (optional).
Note: If a cover letter is submitted, it may be used to assess your qualifications.
We will evaluate your application by comparing your description of your work experience, level of responsibility, and accomplishments, with the requirements of the position to determine whether you meet all the qualification requirements. Your application may also be evaluated in the following areas:
- Analytical Thinking
- Subject Matter Expertise
- Oral Communication
This notice is issued under the Direct-Hire authority. Using Office of Personnel Management (OPM) approved government-wide direct hire authorities, agencies may appoint candidates directly to jobs, without regard to the provisions of Title 5 U.S.C.3309 through 3318, for which OPM determines that there is a severe shortage of candidates or a critical hiring need. Candidates will be evaluated on their basic eligibility for Federal employment, minimum qualifications and possession of job-related knowledge, skills and abilities and other factors. All applicants who meet basic qualification requirements will be forwarded to the Selecting Official for further consideration.
Veterans’ Preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to this vacancy.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation