Food Service Worker
The Defense Health Agency, National Capital Region Medical Directorate (NCR-MD) is the future of Military Medicine- a partnership in World Class Medical Healthcare. The Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, the National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE), Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, Dilorenzo Clinic and the Joint Pathology Center, provide world class medical services to the nation's service members and their families.
About the Position:
The Room Service concept in a hospital nutrition operation is aimed to allow patients to order whatever meal items they may desire (within their diet order) at any time during regular service hours. The Room Service kitchen operates from 0500-1900 hours daily with two separate 8.5 hour shifts. Each Room Service Ambassador (RSA) is responsible for monitoring and delivering meals to between 6-25 patients per meal period and may spend up to 100% of the shift on their feet walking between the main kitchen, ward pantries, and patient rooms.
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- This position requires the incumbent be able to obtain and maintain a determination of eligibility for a Tier 3 security investigation or access for the duration of employment. A background investigation and credit check are required.
- This position requires the incumbent to have tuberculosis testing.
- This position requires the incumbent to have seasonal influenza.
- This position may require the incumbent to work on any day or shift, including PMs, nights, weekends, holidays necessary to meet mission requirements.
- This position has been designated as Mission Essential and the incumbent must assume essential personnel status during inclement weather/emergencies.
- This position requires the completion of a pre-employment Physical Examination and an annual examination thereafter to ensure the continued, required level of physical health & ability or fitness to perform the duties of the position.
Screen Out Element: Ability to do the work of the position without more than normal supervision. Applicants must meet the screen out elements to be considered further. To meet the screen out elements applicants should document experience in the following: transport/deliver meal trays to patients, take bedside order in a timely and professional manner. Ensure accuracy of items on trays being delivered to appropriate patient, by double checking items on roster. Enter items ordered into a computer program. Maintain stock and inventory of items. Customer service, liaison between patient, staff and/or cooks.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Ability To Do The Work Of The position Without More Than Normal Supervision
- Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc. (other than blueprints)
- Ability to Perform Work with Dexterity and Safety
- Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment
- Food Service
- Technical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic)
- Work Practices (including keeping things neat, clean, and in order)
Physical effort: The worker is subject to continuous standing and walking, and frequent stooping, reaching, pushing, pulling, and bending. The worker may be required to work on ladders and perform heavy work such as scouring and scrubbing large-size cooking utensils and moving heavy carts and trucks in unloading, storing, and delivering supplies. They frequently lift or move objects weighing up to 40 pounds.
Working conditions: The work is performed in the kitchen area where steam and heat from cooking and dishwashing equipment often cause uncomfortably high temperatures and humidity. The work area is well lighted but usually noisy from food service activities.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference, see the information in the Military Spouse Preference Under Delegated Examining Procedures information sheet.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.