Supervisor, Transit Field Operations
Job Title: Supervisor, Transit Field Operations
Job ID: 170408 Location: MD - Carmen Turner Facility
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Posting Open-Close 10/04/2017
Regular/Temporary: Regular Job Description
THIS JOB OPENING IS TO ADDRESS CURRENT AND FUTURE OPENINGS FOR THIS CLASSIFICATION.
All WMATA posted job openings are available through 11:59 pm the night before the noted Close Date. To ensure successful submission of application applicants are encouraged to apply well before this cut-off. The noted Close Date is the date on which the posting is automatically removed from the website as of 12:00am at which time submission of an application is no longer possible. (WMATA reserves the right to remove postings at any time without notice as business needs demand.)
Note To Applicants:
This posting replaces job opening number 170217 Manager Bus Service Operations. This replacement posting is due to significant changes made to job title, description, level and FLSA status of the role.
- High School Diploma or GED with at least 7 years of experience in the mass transit industry (bus or rail operations).
- Prior experience as a Transit Operator (Bus or Rail).
- Must hold a valid driver’s license with CDL passenger endorsement to operate buses in the event of an emergency. Must be able to operate a WMATA motor vehicle.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Transportation, Communications or Business Administration
- 3 years of experience in the Transit Industry as a Transit Operator (Bus or Rail), Depot Clerk or Transit Operations Supervisor.
- Incident/Accident investigations experience
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
Oversees and maintains the safe and scheduled operations of bus services. Monitors and evaluates Bus Operators’ on time performance; enforces operating rules, regulations and company policies; documents operating infractions such as unsafe operation, schedule adherence, cut trips, unauthorized uniform, and electronic equipment, while providing ongoing coaching and counseling. Conducts accident investigations, determines the need for Federal Transportation Administration’s (FTA) drug and alcohol testing and provides assistance to WMATA customers.
Responsible for assigned bus routes, monitors, anticipates and identifies issues and problems that impact system operations. Investigates WMATA bus and non-revenue vehicle accidents, completes appropriate reports in a timely manner. Provides shuttle service to support Rail during emergencies. Participates in the training of new Transit Field Operations Supervisors. Attends Division Safety and local community meetings.
- Investigates WMATA bus and non-revenue vehicle accidents, determines if FTA/ WMATA policy testing is required, transports to WMATA’s testing facility, and completes report.
- Supervises Bus Operators, monitors and evaluates in-service performance, provides additional instruction and positive feedback, recommends additional training when needed, and documents information used for progressive discipline in conformance with District policies and Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Oversees and maintains the safe and scheduled operation of the Authority’s transit vehicles within the jurisdictions, and ensures passenger loads are within designated parameters.
- Enforces WMATA policies, standard operating procedures and rules and regulations.
- Responds to customers’ needs/complaints, Operator/Passenger disputes and participates in unemployment and arbitration hearings.
- Maintains contact with Operations Control Center via radio, cell-phone, and laptop computer, in order to receive and/or transmit information; interacts with customers, and officials of law enforcement, utilities, and schools, as needs dictate.
- Operates two-way radio systems, regular telephones, and cell phones to receive, record, and assist with incidents, such as assistance from agencies of various jurisdictions, including Police, Fire, and Sheriff’s departments, as needed.
- Operates multiple computer systems and monitors information from various sources, such as OrbCad, NextBus, traffic information and live video. Investigates problems and anomalies; and interacts pro-actively with Bus Operators, field Transportation Supervisors, and Maintenance Staff.
- Analyzes and makes recommendations regarding schedule adherence and other operational needs or problems; reports discrepancies and/or unsafe conditions to appropriate personnel; and recommends and implements corrective actions.
- Trains new Transit Field Operations Supervisors.
- Coordinates with Bus Planning to recommend schedule and routing adjustments.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview .