Transportation Engineering Manager II
SALARY: $60,543.00 - $97,203.00 Annually
OPENING DATE: 10/05/17
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
Transportation Engineering Manager II
Facilities Management and Engineering Division
Position Specific Recruitment
* Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply *
The eligible list produced from this recruitment will be utilized to fill only this vacancy.
** Reopened Recruitment - Previous applicants need not apply **
Applicants MUST apply online.
The Maryland Department of Transportation's Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) is seeking qualified candidates with focus on delivering premier customer service with innovative ideas and solutions for the position of Transportation Engineering Manager II. The current position is located in the Facilities Management and Engineering Division of the MVA Headquarters located in Glen Burnie, MD.
This position functions as Capital Project Construction Manager and Engineer for Facilities Management and Engineering Dept. for MVA. The selected candidate will plan, evaluate and implement construction programs, and shall be responsible for the rehabilitation and system preservation of new and existing MVA facilities and associated infrastructures. Duties include, but are not limited to: preparation of Engineering design and plans; Request for Proposals (RFP); specification development and estimating; project cost and analysis; code compliance and facility forecasting; evaluation and selection of professional consultants and contractors; construction managers and supervisors; change orders and payment approvals; progress documentation and completion certificates. The incumbent receives managerial supervision from a higher level engineering manager or administrative official.
This is supervisory, administrative and managerial transportation engineering work over engineers applying engineering theories, principles and standards to a variety of complex engineering projects, construction, maintenance, materials, or other areas. These managers are typically section managers, assistant division managers, or are assigned area wide responsibility. Work includes managing and coordinating work assignments of the unit, setting standards and providing quality assurance reviews and coordinating work with other divisions. Staff level, non-supervisory nationally recognized expert positions may also be assigned to these levels. Positions assigned to this class may require expert level knowledge within one or more highly specialized areas within the field of Transportation Engineering such as facility design.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate must possess (most of) the following:
1. Plan, evaluate, review and accept or reject design concepts, schematics, and document submittals by the consultants. Manage design, prepare specs, prepare cost estimates for the construction and rehabilitation as well as total system preservation of new and existing MVA Facilities.
2. Prepare requests for information (RFI) for A & E consultants and construction contractors.
3. Evaluate consultant's letters of interest, general and technical proposals. Participate in the selection of qualified engineering and architectural consulting firms.
4. Supervise and direct A & E consultants with documentation and technical materials to construct new MVA offices, remodel/or rehabilitation of existing.
5. Keep contractors and consultants abreast of budget and on schedule. And make sure projects conform to contract and technical perimeters.
6. Review and approve contract submittals, estimates, reports and recommendations. Also estimate contractors progress and approve progress payments as submitted.
7. Assist in helping and supervising Planning, Design/Specifications for the upcoming project of MVA headquarters Renovations at Glen Burnie estimated to cost about $50M. Coordinate construction with other departments (LAN, Telecom, Facilities Maintenance, Ops, etc).
8. Possess knowledge of PC's, computer and software (Excel, Work, PowerPoint, Access, etc.) specifically ACAD.
9. Knowledgeable of Capital Improvement Programs and Budgeting
Education: Possession of a bachelor's degree in engineering from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Eight (8) years experience in professional engineering, including one (1) year of supervisory or consultant management experience in the areas of Engineering and/or Construction. *
* This statement contains a Selective Qualification, which is more focused in scope than the Minimum Qualifications for this classification. Selective Qualifications are utilized when the job requires specific or additional bona fide occupational qualifications (i.e. knowledge, skills, or abilities). No substitution is allowed for a Selective Qualification.
1. Additional work experience in professional engineering, or in technical engineering at the journey level or above, may be substituted on a year for year basis for the required education.
2. Possession of a Master's Degree in engineering may be substituted for one year of the non- supervisory experience.
3. Persons currently registered as Professional Engineers in the State of Maryland, or in a state with comparable requirements, are considered to have met the education requirements.
Employees may be subject to emergency call 24 hours a day and may be required to maintain a reliable communication link (telephone or pager) for the purpose of emergency call back requirements.
LICENSES & CERTIFICATIONS:
1. Employees in this class may be required to possess a Professional Engineer, Land Surveyor, or Property Line Surveyor License.
2. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
Submit a DTS-1 application online at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mdotmd . The application must be complete at the time of submission and must clearly describe the required work experience. Dates (month and year) must be stated. Resumes cannot be substituted for work history and education. Vague descriptions of experience will not be considered. Please include all relevant experience on your application. This includes, but is not limited to, full or part time, volunteer, military, acting capacity, or any other experience that is relevant to the position for which you are applying. Description of duties that state, "see resume" will negatively impact consideration for this position. Applicants will not be contacted for additional information. Applications submitted online must be received by 11:59 PM if a closing date applies. If you have general questions regarding employment opportunities with the Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA), please call 410-787-7719.
The MVA is not sponsoring new employees in application of the H-1B Visa at this time due to budgetary constraints. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States under the Immigration and Reform Control Act of 1986. Federal regulations prohibit H1B Visa candidates from paying sponsorship fees; all sponsorship fees must be assumed by the potential employer.
Applicants with degrees granted outside of the United States will be required to provide a written evaluation of education documentation by a credentialing organization.
The MVA is an equal opportunity employer. The MVA does not discriminate based on age, ancestry, color, creed, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religious affiliation, belief or opinion, sex, or sexual orientation.
The State of Maryland is dedicated to a drug-free workplace, and as a result, employees are subject to the State's Substance Abuse Policy to include possible drug testing. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.
The selected candidate may be subject to background and reference checks. A conviction is not an automatic disqualification to employment. Erroneous, misleading, or fraudulent information on an application is sufficient grounds for rejection from the hiring process, removal from the list of eligibles, withdrawal of an offer for employment or immediate discharge.
Relay Service: 1-800-201-7165 TTY: 1-800-492-4575 EEO/AA Employer
Issued: 04/27/2017 Re-Issued Date: 10/5/17.