Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute
Operations Manager Position
Position Title: Operations Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Prepared Date: 10.2.2017
Reports to: Executive Director
Are you a results-oriented professional with a passion for administration, child welfare and a desire to impact social policy? The Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute’s (CCAI) unique reach to Members of Congress, celebrities and both the domestic and international child welfare communities makes it a small-but-influential organization for creating change on behalf of children in need of families. Individuals with strengths in administration, finance, human resources, attention to detail and developing relationships across a wide range of stakeholder groups will thrive in this position that manages an office and staff that interface daily with the U.S. Congress.
CCAI Mission Statement: The Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to raising awareness about the millions of children around the world in need of permanent, safe, and loving homes and to eliminating the barriers that hinder these children from realizing their basic right of a family.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will be engaging, organized, analytical and disciplined with experience overseeing the coordination and administration of all aspects of a non-profit office including finance, bookkeeping, human resources, information technology and general office management. Specific qualifications include:
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills that exude a polished professionalism and attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills with ability to manage multiple long- and short-term projects.
- Proficient in QuickBooks and Microsoft Office (especially Excel) and well versed in Windows operating systems.
- Ability to effectively interface with executive leadership, board members and other key stakeholders.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, small office environment often required to respond quickly and flexibly to current events and the congressional calendar.
- Proven experience negotiating contracts with consultants and vendors.
- Strong initiative and ability to work independently and see projects through to fruition.
- Ability to learn new skills quickly and openness to professional development and growth.
- Desire to create an atmosphere for CCAI’s staff, programs, events and mission to shine.
- Experience with Information Technology (IT) systems and troubleshooting a strong plus.
Summary of position and essential functions and responsibilities:
The Operations Manager serves as the day-to-day manager of the CCAI office, providing administrative support to the staff and making sure that the internal operations of the organization run smoothly. The Operations Manager is responsible for CCAI’s bookkeeping, helps manage human resources, helps manage and maintain the office’s Information Technology (IT) systems, assists with development recordkeeping, handles the organization’s finances and generates summary financial and budgetary documents consistently and as requested.
- Opening the office daily and performing other general tasks such as answering the phones and recording messages, filing paperwork, processing mail, coordinating basic repairs and ensuring the office looks tidy and professional.
- Managing payroll, accounts payable and accounts receivable, and keeping excellent records for all such transactions, in coordination with CCAI’s C.P.A.
- Leading the compilation and preparation of the annual budget and preparing regular financial position statements in coordination with the staff for the Board of Directors, and CCAI’s C.P.A.
- Managing vendor relationships, securing and reviewing vendor contracts, arranging purchases, maintaining the office inventory and managing bill payments.
- Assisting with the recruitment and orientation of new hires, and ensuring labor law compliance.
- Recruiting, interviewing, and orienting seasonal interns and volunteers, and assisting CCAI staff with the management and coordination of the intern and volunteer experience.
- Maintaining CCAI’s master administrative calendar and tracking employee schedules/timesheets.
- Assisting with the preparation of quarterly Board of Directors and Advisory Council meeting materials.
- Overseeing the upkeep of the organization’s technology and consulting with IT contractors to correct technology issues in a timely manner.
- Assisting the Executive Director in scheduling and data management.
- Assisting with special events and convenings.
Workplace: The CCAI office can be described as a friendly, team atmosphere where staff members support each other when needed. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is likely to sit for long periods and need to be able to concentrate on work within short timeframes in the context of an active and, at times, moderately noisy office. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Minimal travel is required, including some weekends.
Education and Experience: An undergraduate degree is required, preferably in management, business, accounting or related field. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications and job functions listed in this posting are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required. The Operations Manager will be a seasoned and mature leader with 2-4+ years’ experience in office management, bookkeeping and documented experience in a position of leadership and managing staff, interns, and/or volunteers.
Salary Range: Dependent on experience.
- Company paid health, dental, vision and life insurance
- Option for monthly parking or travel support
- Option for monthly phone stipend
Send résumé and cover letter detailing interest in the position to:
*Please address your résumé and cover letter to:
Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute
311 Massachusetts Avenue NE
Washington, DC 20002
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
The Angels in Adoption® Program and Foster Youth Internship Program® are signature programs of the Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute (CCAI). CCAI is a proud member of the National Adoption Day Coalition.
Apply for Operations Manager
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly