The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a national research organization based in Washington, DC, seeks a dynamic communications manager. ACEEE is an independent, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 1980 that acts as a catalyst to advance energy efficiency policies, programs, technologies, investments, and behaviors.
ACEEE’s organizational culture is collaborative and team-oriented with a strong commitment to its mission. Staff work at an energetic pace in an entrepreneurial environment that emphasizes professional development. There is a high degree of workplace flexibility, with an emphasis on results, making ACEEE an enjoyable and fulfilling place to work.
ACEEE seeks a creative, media-savvy, highly-skilled storyteller to manage its communications. The manager crafts strategic messaging and campaigns to advance the organization's robust research and policy work. The messaging should be clear, compelling, and multimedia. The manager will work on high-profile projects in the energy efficiency, technology, and policy communities. As part of the communications team, the manager will report to the senior director of marketing and communications. The core responsibilities include:
- Working closely with researchers to develop and edit blog posts, fact sheets, press releases, and other materials
- Crafting and implementing detailed plans to release research reports and other projects
- Reaching out to media to promote ACEEE’s work and responding to press inquiries
- Overseeing social media and related marketing tools
- Leading and coordinating communications activities for the broader energy efficiency community
Expectations and Responsibilities:
- Superb writing, editing, and speaking skills. The manager will develop and edit written materials as well as interact with media.
- Experience in media and public relations. He/she needs to meet the needs of not only media, but also technical experts, policymakers at all levels, and the general public.
- Ability to juggle multiple ongoing projects with competing deadlines. The manager needs to be well organized, efficient, and detail-oriented.
- Ability to lead and coordinate community-wide communications efforts. The manager will spearhead and coordinate initiatives for the broader energy efficiency community.
- Experience in marketing and social media. He/she needs to promote materials using various platforms and tools, including Facebook and Google advertising. Ideally, the manager would have experience with Pardot and Cision.
- Ability to strategize as well as execute communications plans. The manager needs to see the big picture but also follow through on details.
- Strong interpersonal skills. He/she will collaborate with numerous ACEEE staff members on crosscutting projects. The manager must also maintain relationships with external stakeholders and partners to inform ACEEE’s research and broaden its reach.
- Highly motivated, self-starter. The manager must be able to work independently as well as in teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in humanities, journalism, marketing, or social sciences
- Experience in media and public relations
- Superb writing, editing, and speaking skills
- Five years or more of relevant work experience
- Proven success in marketing
- Demonstrated passion for clean energy, sustainability, or environmental issues
- Knowledge of energy issues
Preferred start date: October/November 2017, based in Washington, DC
Salary: ACEEE offers competitive compensation, based on qualifications and experience, with opportunities for career development. Benefits include ACEEE’s generous package of health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; transportation and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and brief (1-2 pages) writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org and use “Communications Manager” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls about open positions.