Director, National Mental Health and Substance Use Policy Laboratory
Occasional travel - As needed
Relocation expenses reimbursed
Yes May be authorized
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Cover Letter (optional).
- Resume (no more than 5 pages).
- This position requires completion of public financial disclosure report.
- Suitable for Federal employment, determined by a background investigation.
- Must complete a one year probationary period.
All competitive candidates for SES positions with the Federal Government must demonstrate leadership experience indicative of senior executive level management capability. To meet the minimum qualification requirements for this position, you must show in your resume that you possess the Fundamental Competencies, five Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs), and the Professional/Technical Qualifications (PTQs), listed below. It is recommended that your resume emphasize levels of responsibility, scope and complexity of programs managed, and program accomplishments and results.
Interpersonal Skills, Oral Communication, Integrity/Honesty, Written Communication, Continual Learning, and Public Service Motivation. It is STRONGLY recommended that you visit the following Office of Personnel Management (OPM) webpage for more information regarding the Fundamental Competencies and ECQs.
Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs):
1. Leading Change: The ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
2. Leading People: The ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
3. Results Driven: The ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
4. Business Acumen: The ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
5. Building Coalitions: The ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
Professional/Technical Qualifications (PTQs):
This position also requires that you possess PTQs that represent knowledge, skills, and abilities essential for success in this role. The following PTQs must be evident in your resume.
1. Progressively responsible senior management experience on the development, execution, and coordination of national and/or state substance abuse and mental health policy, legislation, and regulations with specialized experience related to the duties of the position.
2. Responsible senior management experience that reflects in-depth knowledge and experience of strategic planning development work and execution aimed at meeting organization goals and program objectives as related to NMHSUPL through teamwork.
IF SELECTED, you will be required to complete an ECQ package by drafting narratives for each of the ECQs and be certified by an OPM Qualifications Review Board (QRB) in order to be placed in this position. If you are currently serving in a career SES appointment, are eligible for reinstatement into the SES, or have successfully completed an SES Candidate Development Program approved by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), you WILL NOT need to draft the ECQs.
Salary for Senior Executive Service positions varies depending on qualifications. The annual salary range may be found at the top of this announcement. This position may be eligible for performance bonuses and performance based pay adjustments.
Selectee must serve a one-year probationary period unless previously completed.
Standards of Conduct/Financial Disclosure
HHS inspires public confidence by maintaining high ethical principles, and all Federal Government employees are subject to the conflict of interest statutes and regulations, including the Standards of Ethical Conduct, that govern activities with outside organizations and reporting financial holdings. The Ethics in Government Act, PL 95-521 also requires the applicant selected for this position to submit a Public Financial Disclosure Report, OGE-278, prior to assuming the SES position, annually, and upon termination of employment.
Security and Background Requirements
If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Equality is held as one of the most important values at HHS. Selection for this, and any other position, will be based solely on merit. HHS does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, age or membership or non-membership in an employee organization, or any other non-merit factors.
If applying online poses a hardship to you, you may submit your application by contacting Rebecca.Lackey@HHS.gov .
Reasonable Accommodation Policy Statement
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact: Rebecca.Lackey@HHS.gov . Requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Veteran's Preference does not apply to the SES.
As a condition of employment, all male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must have registered for the selective service. If selected for this position, the applicant must sign a statement certifying his registration, or the applicant must demonstrate exempt status under the Selective Service Law.
A recruitment incentive may be authorized.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Read more Security clearance