NEW LEADER PROGRAM
USCIS is currently soliciting applications for the next cohort of the New Leader Program (NLP). The NLP is a six-month program designed to develop and prepare high performing GS 07-11 employees for leadership roles. This program focuses on the Executive Core Qualifications designed by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) with a primary emphasis on Developing Self. The NLP helps students acquire these competencies through leadership and assessments, residential sessions, experiential learning, one 30-day developmental assignment, action-learning team projects, shadow and interview assignments, reading and report writing.
The instructor-led portions of the program are offered in Washington, DC.
The 30-day developmental assignment required of this program must be done at the local level and can be done at any federal agency.
FUNDING: The USCIS LEAD Program pays for tuition, lodging, per diem, and all travel costs. Rental cars are authorized on a case-by-case basis. The home office of record prepares travel orders.
Salary noted on this announcement reflects base salary for the GS-07, step 1 to GS-11, step 10. Selectees for this program will remain at their current grade level and salary of their permanent position of record. Candidates will not be required to relocate during the duration of the NLP.
NOTE: USCIS may fill one or more program slots using this announcement.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
- Current USCIS employees must meet Time-in-Grade requirements.
- Performance Rating of Achieved Excellence or Exceeded Expectations.
- Meet eligibility requirements.
- If you have recently taken a course offered by the LEAD Program, you must wait 12 months after its completion date before you can apply for another LEAD course.
- Applicants who are accepted into the New Leader Program who are either anticipating an international assignment, or are currently on one, will be offered a deferment into a future session after their assignment is completed if it is within the same fiscal year of the announcement date, pending course availability and availability of funds.
- There are no educational requirements to participate in this program.
- There are two NLP Cohorts offered:
- Cohort NLP 2018-1
- Week 1: Mar 12-16, 2018
- Week 2: Jun 11-15, 2018
- Week 3: Sep 24-28, 2018
- Cohort NLP 2018-2
- Week 1: Aug 20-24, 2018
- Week 2: Nov 26-Dec 1, 2018
- Week 3: Feb 25-Mar 1, 2019
- Cohort NLP 2018-1
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applicants for the New Leader Program will be evaluated on their responses to the on-line assessment portion of the application process. The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Executive Core Qualifications/Competencies include:
- Leading Change
- Leading People
- Results Driven
- Building Coalitions
- Fundamental Competencies