Director, Data Procurement and Governance
Summary PenFed is hiring a Director, Data Procurement and Governance in our McLean, Virginia headquarters. The primary purpose of this job is to establish, maintain and execute the Finance Divisions’ data governance model and oversee the operational procedures that enforce data governance. The incumbent will regularly interface with IT and other lines of business to ensure ongoing compliance with data governance policies, standards and procedures established for the Finance Division. Additionally, the position will also oversee the procurement of data that enables the daily function of the Finance Team. Essential Functions Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job duties and the position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Develop and maintain processes and procedures to comply with divisional and enterprise standards related to data governance.
- Develop and manage business definitions for identified critical data.
- Document and manage business metadata.
- Actively monitor changes to industry best practices for large financial institutions and identifying needed updates to divisional data governance policies, standards, and procedures.
- Partner with appropriate groups within PenFed to develop and implement effective strategies related to data governance and management.
- Develop data governance management reporting.
- Translate strategic ideas into tactical activities and guide the execution of the tactical data management and governance activities.
- Provide input to reporting on data governance Key Risk and Control indicators.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the data governance strategy using metrics.
- Recommend effective data provisioning strategies and controls to support daily Finance Division operations.
- Oversee the development of data dictionaries, data catalogs and other guiding data documents.
- Analyze existing data usage and storage methods and make strategic recommendations to improve data capabilities within Finance.
- Deliver reports, presentations and other communiques in both written and oral format, research industry best practices and evaluate alternatives, and serve as a project lead in delivering on projects impacting the Finance Division’s consumable data.
- Responsible for leading a team of Data Analysts to accomplish the incumbent’s objectives.
Bachelor’s degree in IT, Finance, or related discipline or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills may be acquired.
Minimum of twelve (12) + years’ overall experience.
Minimum of five (5) + years’ of experience as a data management and/or governance within financial services.
Knowledge of the DAMA-DMBOK Framework for data governance.
Experience translating strategic ideas into tactical plans and activities.
Experience measuring the business value of data governance activities and outcomes.
Experience with master data management, metadata management, data stewardship, and data quality.
Experience defining and documenting business processes and information flows including metadata and data lineage.
Solid understanding of industry best practices related to data governance.
Familiarity with metadata management tools.
Experience with supporting data governance and data quality initiatives, including developing and implementing data standards, policies, practices and procedures that improved data integrity.
Ability to clearly communicate complex technical and business concepts to leaders and key stakeholders in non-technical roles.