Public Relations and Marketing Specialist III
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Up to $48,000; commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Communications Officer/Mobile Journalist
The George Mason University Office of Communications and Marketing is seeking a Communications Officer/Mobile Journalist for its Strategic Communications team. We are looking for a skilled communicator who can work across disciplines and across teams in the Office of Communications and Marketing. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: This position reports to the Managing Editor. Responsibilities include:
- Researching and drafting stories and news articles for the website and for other university publications;
- Taking photos and/or videos at campus events for use on the website and elsewhere;
- Pitching stories to media, creating media outreach lists, tracking stories, and producing reports;
- May also be asked to handle incoming media calls; manage media at live events; and arrange interviews for administrators, faculty, staff and students;
- Position will include an emphasis on humanities, social science, health and arts coverage, as well as live event coverage on a tight deadline; and
- Some evening or weekend work, as required.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience, preferably in communications, English, or journalism; and demonstrated professional experience in writing, editing, public relations, or news reporting (to include press releases, media advisories and news articles); or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Must be able to spot interesting and innovative stories that convey key university messages (individual will often be asked to engage some of the brightest minds at Mason and make complex topics accessible and interesting to broader audiences); and must be a consumer of news who can identify trends and timely topics;
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated;
- Experience arranging and conducting interviews;
- Excellent written, verbal, and editorial skills;
- Experience working with style guides, preferably the AP Style Manual;
- Must be a self-starter with the desire to work collaboratively;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and comfort dealing with a wide range of individuals including students, professors, university officials, campus visitors, and members of the media (a good rapport with students and potential students is essential);
- Creativity, problem-solving skills, and an eye for detail are imperative; and
- Ability to work quickly and adhere to deadlines.
- Experience taking photos and videos, and preparing them for publications; and
- Experience writing about humanities, social sciences, health, the arts and/or live events.
The department seeks an individual who enjoys meeting people and possesses confidence in their interviewing, writing, and editing skills. The successful candidate should be creative and able to tell stories in a lively, engaging way.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 01788z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, a list of three professional references with contact information, and links to writing and multimedia samples.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :