PROGRAM ATTORNEY in Washington, D.C.
The National Network to End Domestic Violence (NNEDV) is a national organization dedicated to creating a social, political, and economic environment in which violence against women no longer exists. We are seeking to hire 2 Program Attorneys. This position works closely with the WomensLaw Legal Director in ensuring that we provide comprehensive and up-to-date legal information for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault through our website and Email Hotline.
At least 50 to 75 percent of the Program Attorney’s time will be devoted to answering Email Hotline inquiries from victims all over the country. This position will also create content for pro se litigants to help them navigate the court system in terms of what to expect in court and how to represent themselves – for this reason, it is important that the candidate has direct service experience, representing litigants in family court matters (i.e., protection orders, custody, etc.). The Program Attorney will also research, create, and edit state and federal law information for WomensLaw.org; and assist in training and supervising volunteer Email Hotline responders. This position may also participate in outreach, training, and public speaking on behalf of WomensLaw.
This position is a full-time, exempt position located in Washington, DC that reports to the WomensLaw Legal Director. Some travel will be required. **At least 1-3 years or more of litigation experience in family law or protection order cases is required.**
Specifically, responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Respond to emails from victims of domestic violence and sexual assault related to issues of family law, divorce, immigration, domestic violence, misuse of technology, and other topics.
- Assist with management of law student volunteers and assist in training new volunteers.
- Create content that tells pro se litigants what to expect in family law cases (e.g., custody, divorce, etc.), how to navigate the court system, how to represent themselves, and how to understand basic evidentiary rules.
- Interpret legal statutes and translate them into “plain language.”
- Update existing legal content and develop new content for WomensLaw.org.
- Work with other experts in the field to share information and create materials appropriate for WomensLaw.org users.
- Assist in recruiting and supervising law student interns.
**Please note that this position will NOT provide legal representation or work on specific legal cases.**
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary range is between $50,000 and $70,000, commensurate with experience and demonstrated skills. NNEDV pays the entire cost for each employee’s Health, Dental, Life, and Short- and Long-Term Disability Insurances. NNEDV contributes 3% to each employee’s 401(k) retirement plan (regardless of employee’s match). NNEDV also provides a commuting stipend to DC-based staff, 17 paid holidays, 15 days of annual leave, and 10 days of sick leave each year. NNEDV also offers vision insurance at a nominal cost.
- J.D. and Bar admission required (any state or DC) – candidates who are still awaiting results from the July 2017 Bar will not be considered;
- At least 1-3 years or more of litigation experience in family law cases and/or protection order cases required;
- Prior experience working with survivors of domestic violence and/or sexual assault or a proven dedication to women’s issues strongly preferred;
- Excellent writing and grammar;
- Highly organized and self-motivated with a great attention to detail;
- Excellent research skills;
- Ability to speak publicly and give presentations/trainings to large groups of people;
- Experience recruiting, managing, and training volunteers;
- Ability to multi-task and manage several projects at once, as well as assist with other organizational needs;
- Ability to work collaboratively as well as independently;
- Flexible, positive, compassionate and able to handle sensitive situations;
- Commitment to helping victims of domestic violence and sexual assault; and
- Spanish or other language fluency a plus, though not required.
NNEDV’s headquarters, Washington, D.C.
TO APPLY, PLEASE FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW:
- Please combine into a single PDF and email the below items: (no mail or faxes):
- cover letter;
- resume; and
- salary expectations.
- In your cover letter, include an estimation of the number of court cases broken down by case type in which you represented litigants in court (for example: Divorce: 5, Protection orders: 25, Custody: 10)
- Please also paste your cover letter into the body of the email.
- Please send the combined PDF to Stacey Sarver, Esq. at: WLjobs@nnedv.org
The position will remain open until filled, but priority will be given to applications received on or before October 13, 2017.
NNEDV is an equal-opportunity employer and we encourage your application to join our highly accomplished team!
Apply for PROGRAM ATTORNEY in Washington, D.C.
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly