Education Support Specialist III
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
The George Mason University Office of the Provost seeks qualified candidates for a Program Navigator within the Office of Enrollment Management. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: This primary responsibility for this position is to recruit and retain undergraduate students to Mason in online and specialty programs, including freshmen and transfer students. Some examples of specific tasks are:
- Recruit new students to online and specialty programs at George Mason University;
- Build and maintain relationships with prospective students, helping them navigate the admissions process through phone, e-mail, social media and face-to-face meetings;
- Serve as the primary contact for students who have expressed interest in enrolling in these programs;
- Collaborate with the Office of Admissions, Office of Integrated Enrollment Marketing, University Life, and individual academic units to design communication flows for purposes of driving new student enrollment in online/specialty programs;
- Work in collaboration with other team members across the university to ensure excellent customer service during the onboarding process;
- Serve as constant and immediate source of support for currently enrolled undergraduate students in online/specialty programs, extremely accessible and well known to them; and serve as the primary contact for students who are currently enrolled in these programs;
- Provide proactive coaching for academic, personal, and career success for continuing students in online/specialty programs;
- In collaboration with campus retention efforts, implement student success and retention strategies; match students with the appropriate resources to aid in their success;
- Work with a variety of individuals on campus to understand, monitor and convey all aspects of curriculum, sequencing, scheduling, registration and university policies and procedures and student concerns and needs; and
- Monitor and intervene on behalf of individual students as they progress through online/specialty programs, maintaining records of individual student data in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
We seek a candidate who is able to lead change and innovation in a complex environment, support the development of professional staff, collaborate across colleges and departments, and contribute to the overall goals and objective of the university.
- Understanding of the undergraduate online student experience, including the ability to effectively communicate with students, parents, faculty and administrators;
- Sensitivity to the needs of our diverse and demanding applicant pool is a necessary skill;
- Detail-oriented and ability to prioritize;
- Strong communication skills, and comfortable with public speaking;
- Ability to learn new software applications;
- Available for evening and weekend work; and
- Understanding of transfer and adult student transition challenges.
- Experience with or demonstrated knowledge of academic advising, orientation, disability services, veteran services, career services, student involvement, and student rights and responsibilities; and
- Ability to analyze course prerequisites, and graduation requirements.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02757z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :