Gardener/Crew Leader – Full time
We are in search of a Gardener/Crew Leader to join our small company that maintains high-end gardens in the Washington DC metropolitan area. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, flexible, creative, trustworthy, and confident in their ability to perform technical gardening tasks. They will also be able to take instruction from the Head Gardener and will be open to suggestions for improvement , will be a good listener, a good communicator, and most importantly, willing to get their hands dirty. The ideal candidate will be required to supervise and work with a crew of 2 or more gardeners to perform garden maintenance tasks such as pruning, weeding, pest identification and maintenance, lawn care and mowing, mulch application, small garden installation, small water feature maintenance, irrigation monitoring, and other tasks related to fine residential estates and gardens. This supervision and work will be both in verbal instruction to gardeners as well as hands-on participation in the tasks at hand. Under direct supervision of the Head Gardener, the Gardener/Crew Leader will coordinate care for 15+ gardens which includes understanding the plant palette installed, the microclimates for each garden, and the specific requirements for each client. The job requires direct interface with clients and/or Landscape Architects to assess the clients’ needs and to keep them up to date on any work that is proceeding in their garden.
- Possess a valid US Driver’s License, a clean driving record, and the ability to legally work in the United States.
- Have reliable transportation to and from our location in Silver Spring, MD
- 3-5 Years practical experience performing horticultural care in residential gardens or botanical gardens.
- Working knowledge of and ability to identify woody plants (trees and shrubs), perennials, ornamental and native grasses that are used in the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Experience working with Integrated Pest Management techniques
- Understanding of basic turf management practices.
- Ability to safely operate and supervise the operation of heavy machinery such as: tillers, walk-behind mowers, bob-cats, 1200 GVW trucks, chain saws, line trimmers, and backpack blowers.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to speak Spanish or to learn Spanish quickly.
- Ability to speak English fluently.
- Ability and willingness to work in inclement weather including high heat and humidity typical of Mid-Atlantic summers, rain, snow, and ice.
- Ability to effectively communicate with clients to report on the progress of work in their gardens and to consult with them when improvements are requested.
- Ability to identify horticultural problems in a garden and, under supervision of the Head Gardener, effectively provide solutions and remediation efforts to solve such problems.
- Ability and willingness to consult with Landscape Architects and other designers to coordinate maintenance and requested improvements to a client’s garden.
- Ability to project manage and assist in management tasks such as billing, additional work proposals, and preparation of yearly contracts.
- Ability to supervise a team of 2 or more employees by effectively managing their time and by communicating all personnel related matters to the Head Gardener.
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Use of company vehicle during business hours and for work-related trips
- Paid Holidays, vacation, and sick time
Please send a resume and cover letter to:
Apply for Gardener/Crew Leader/Driver
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly