The Defense Health Agency, National Capital Region Medical Directorate (NCR-MD) is the future of Military Medicine- a partnership in World Class Medical Healthcare. The Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, the National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE), Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, Dilorenzo Clinic and the Joint Pathology Center, provide world class medical services to the nation's service members and their families.
About the Position:
This position is for a staff Research Investigator position in the Scientific and Clinical Studies Section (hereafter, the Research Section), Audiology and Speech Pathology Center at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, MD. This position is for a mid-level Hearing, Speech-Language Pathology, or Cognitive Scientist and leading subject matter expert within NCR-MD. The successful candidate will work independently and collaboratively with other research staff and clinic providers to develop, initiate, and oversee a research program designed to (a) support the hearing, speech, or cognitive capabilities of Department of Defense personnel, and/or (b) make scientific advances to the understanding of hearing, speech or cognitive disorders encountered in the military and clinical populations, and/or c) improve the clinical management of patients.
Prefer Post-Doctoral experience.
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes You may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Tier 3 (T3) security clearance.
- This position requires the incumbent to have tuberculosis testing.
Education: Degree with a major study (at least 24 semester hours) in an academic field related to the health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position, such as, Neuroscience, Linguistics, Cognitive Psychology, Hearing Science, Speech Science, etc. from an accredited college or university.
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes designing, conducting, and presenting research studies related to hearing, speech, or cognitive processes and disorders; acquiring and managing research funding, i.e. grants; and participating in preparing grant applications. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-12).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Analysis and Research
- Planning and Evaluating
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html.
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please submit your foreign education evaluation with your application.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference, see the information in the Military Spouse Preference Under Delegated Examining Procedures information sheet.
- Incentives may be authorized.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.