Development Planner/Community Design
The Town of Herndon, Virginia, located in the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Area, is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Development Planner specializing in community design and plan review. The town is focused on transit-oriented redevelopment adjacent to the nearly complete Herndon Metrorail Station, as well as infill and redevelopment within the town’s historic downtown core. The position performs professional level planning work within the Department of Community Development.
- The duties include architectural and preservation design review, as well as the review of site plans, generalized development plans, building permits and other plan and permit submittals for zoning code compliance and best planning practices
- Assists in the development of urban design policies and the implementation of the town’s sustainability plan and current design guidelines. One of the responsibilities of this position is staff support to the Heritage Preservation Review Board and Architectural Review Board, requiring expertise in architectural styles and professional public presentation skills
- Additional necessary skills include: proficiency and accuracy with measuring tools (engineers’ scale, architects’ scale and electronic measuring methods), the ability to abstract 3 dimensional forms and relationships from plan sheets, the ability to understand and apply historic preservation guidelines and zoning regulations, the ability to perform independent research and analysis, the ability to write informative and concise staff reports, the ability to positively and productively interact with co-workers and a broad spectrum of customers, and proficiency with Microsoft Office, PowerPoint and Prezi
- Knowledge of the principles and history of urban and architectural design is essential
- Bachelor’s degree in landscape architecture or urban planning with a concentration in urban design and architectural history or closely related field with a minimum of five years professional experience in site plan and architectural plan review including zoning compliance
- Or, master’s degree in landscape architecture or urban planning with a concentration in urban design and architectural history or closely related field with a minimum of four years of professional experience in site plan and architectural plan review and analysis including zoning compliance
- Or, an equivalent combination of experience and education of the above
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record.
- $56, 503 – 76,702 DOQ
- Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Plus some evenings
- Herndon Municipal Center, 777 Lynn Street