Manager II – Chief, Division of Solid Waste Services
Montgomery County Government
Department of Environmental Protection
Salary Range: $88,388 - $160,454
The mission of the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is to enhance the quality of life in our community by protecting and improving Montgomery County’s air, water and land in a sustainable way while fostering smart growth, a thriving economy and healthy communities. DEP is seeking an innovative and experienced, senior manager to provide day-to-day planning, execution and management of Montgomery County’s Integrated Solid Waste Management System that provides services to more than 1 million residents.
Montgomery County has continued to be a leader in the promotion of waste reduction and recycling, including being recognized with the Solid Waste Association of North America’s 2015 Excellence Award. This position serves as the Division Chief for Solid Waste Services within DEP, and provides overall leadership and management of the County’s waste management system. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing this system and for identifying and successfully implementing innovative approaches and technologies that continue to provide services to residents; ensure the safe and environmentally compliant operations of our facilities; and advance the County’s goals to continue to increase re-use and recycling of materials. The position provides leadership to a workforce of more than 105 employees and contractors and is responsible for an operating budget of more than $92 million.
Key responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to the following.
1. Provide executive management and leadership to oversee ongoing waste management operations including but not limited to the following:
a. Solid waste and recycling collection services, and
b. Activities of each of the facilities and associated contracts for the Solid Waste Transfer Station, Resource Recovery Facility, Materials Recovery Facility, the Dickerson Compost Facility, the Gude Landfill and the Oaks Landfill.
2. Develop the vision and programmatic strategy to enhance the County’s integrated waste management system, including identification and implementation of innovative approaches and technologies to continue to provide services to residents and advance the County’s efforts to increase re-use and recycling of materials – including food waste.
3. In conjunction with the Deputy Director and budget/contract staff, develop and execute the budget and contracts for collection and disposal activities, identifying the drivers, resource needs including revenue bond financing.
4. Lead collaborative working relationships with the Northeast Waste Disposal Authority, the Facilities’ operating contractor, Federal, State, and regional local governments, community organizations and residents to ensure transparent and effective operations.
5. Lead the remediation and landfill gas extraction/collections efforts at the Gude and Oaks Landfills.
6. Direct the continual review and implementation of best management and operational practices at each facility including strategic planning and evaluation of new technologies.
7. Direct the development and revision of the Comprehensive Solid Waste Management Ten Year Plan.
8. Oversee personnel and contractor work and develop workforce and succession planning. Promote and maintain a positive, safe work environment.
The ideal candidate will have extensive management experience in organizing, planning, and directing the overall operations, services and programs of a waste management system; including experience with operations of industrial and/or waste management facilities; excellent organizational and analytical skills; working independently as well as collaboratively within a large organization with multiple priorities; managing complex issues and making effective decisions; exceptional leadership skills to inspire and motivate staff to achieve and succeed; and excellent interpersonal and communication skills as well as consensus building skills.
This position requires possession of a valid driver's license and the ability to drive a County vehicle to attend meetings, oversee operations at various facilities, and perform other work at locations outside the office to include the Transfer Station in Derwood, MD, the Gude Landfill in Rockville, MD, the Oaks Landfill in Laytonsville, MD, the Resource Recovery Facility and Compost Facility in Dickerson, MD, the Maryland Department of the Environment in Baltimore, MD, and the Northeast Maryland Waste Disposal Authority in Baltimore and Annapolis, MD.
As a manager/supervisor of unionized employees, this position has a responsibility for fostering a positive labor relations environment based on mutual trust, respect, and cooperation.
Experience: A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible professional experience managing the operations of complex programs or integrated solid waste management systems, three years of which were in an executive capacity. Note: The term “executive” is further defined as a high echelon or high level position in an organization that is assigned technical research, management advisory services responsibilities, or policy-making duties and responsibilities that exerts considerable influence on organizational policy, plans, and operations through technical research, management advisory services, and/or policy-making duties and responsibilities (e.g., County positions at Grade 30 or above).
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
License: Possession and maintenance at all times of a valid Class "C" (or equivalent) driver's license from the applicant's state of residence.
We offer competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
To view the complete job announcement and to apply, please visit our website at http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/hr/recruitment/applynow.html
and then click on “Apply Now." Click “Search Jobs" and see the full job description under the “Managerial Executive" Job Category.
Interested candidates must create an account in order to submit a resume.
The requisition number is IRC27763
This Recruitment is Open Until Filled.
All resume submissions must address the preferred criteria for the position, which are listed in the full advertisement, preferably in a separate section of the resume.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the
*Helpful Hints when Applying for Jobs*
on the Office of Human Resource’s “Apply Now” webpage for important information about the County’s application requirements and process.