Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Virology
Job Category : Research Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : The anticipated starting salary is in the low to mid $50,000s.
Web Announcement :
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Virology
The George Mason University National Center for Biodefense and Infectious Disease, within the College of Science, invites well-qualified candidates to apply for a Postdoctoral Research Fellow position in the area of Virology working with RNA viruses. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: Under the guidance of Dr. Kylene Kehn-Hall, the incumbent will work with a large multidisciplinary team from academia, government and industry. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Work directly under the Principle Investigator (PI) and on projects involving Venezuelan equine encephalitis virus, West Nile virus, Rift Valley fever virus and other RNA viruses;
- Assist the PI and graduate students in the design, execution and interpretation of experiments;
- Work safely with infectious agents in Biosafety Level 3 (BSL-3) facility; and
- Perform sterile techniques, including the culture of mammalian cells, viral infections, and using Nanotrap particles for viral capture and stabilization.
- Successful completion of a Ph.D. in microbiology or a closely related field prior to the start date of the appointment;
- Capable of working with select agents in BSL-3 facility, including receiving Security Risk Assessment (SRA) approval;
- Significant experience working as a virologist and experience working with RNA viruses;
- Strong molecular and protein biology skills, including experience with real-time PCR, western blotting and ELISAs; and
- Candidate should be enthusiastic and dedicated, have the ability and interest in learning new techniques, must be able to follow verbal and written instructions, be observant, have attentive to detail, be organized, be efficient, and work well with others.
- Previous experience in cloning, next-generation RNA sequencing, animal-handling and assay development are desired, but not required.
For more information about Dr. Kylene Kehn-Hall and her research, go to http://ncbid.cos.gmu.edu/faculty-profiles/kylene-kehn-hall/
This position is full-time with benefits. The initial appointment will be for one year and subject to annual renewal based on performance and the availability of funding.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number F9890z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, CV, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :