Senior Program Associate
Who We Are
"The advancement of science should be the chief concern of a nation that would conserve and increase the welfare of its people."
-James McKeen Cattell, former AAAS President and Editor of Science
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is an international non-profit organization dedicated to advancing science for the benefit of all people. For over a century, AAAS has been a force for science, from helping to establish science as a credible field in the 19th century to using satellite imaging technology to document human rights abuses in 2007. We are recognized as the world’s largest general scientific society and the proud publisher of the Science family of journals. Past presidents have included astronomer Edward Charles Pickering, anthropologist Margaret Mead, and biologist Stephen Jay Gould. Our mission is centered on the belief that STEM research and education can help solve many of the challenges the world faces today.
AAAS is a culture steeped in history, but adaptive to change and new ideas. We recognize the hard work of our employees and encourage the development of our staff. Our colleagues represent an array of expertise from scholarly publishing to digital marketing, educational research to government relations, all with a shared focus on mission. At AAAS, you are part of a talented team, dedicated to advancing science and serving society.
Work With Us
We have an exciting full-time opportunity for a Senior Program Associate, Research Competitiveness Program (RCP) in our Washington, DC office. The Senior Program Associate will review and evaluate multi-year STEM initiatives led by university consortia and focus on external review of STEM programs at individual universities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the implementation of STEM program evaluation projects
- Serve as point of contact with university consortia or individual universities, defining assessment goals, site visit agenda, and panelist expertise
- Develop concept papers, implementation plans, contracts, and budgets
- Identify and recruit site visit experts and coordinate their work
- Travel and lead site visits at academic institutions
- Lead the drafting and editing of assessment reports
- As needed, lead projects to provide peer-reviews and panel reviews for research proposals submitted to external competitions
- Represent RCP at conferences and meetings
- Maintain working relationships with current and potential funders, panelists, reviewers, and other outside parties
- Develop proposals and concept papers for new funding and build relationships with potential new funders and implementing partners
- Support workshop implementation through oversight of logistics, recruitment of external faculty, and contributions to curriculum development and monitoring and evaluation of outcomes and impacts
- Write, edit, and proofread documents related to program implementation including program reports, consensus reviews, white papers, presentation, daily correspondence, and other documents
- Provide cross-cutting administrative support within RCP as requested
- Supervise and advise the work of interns as needed
- Additional duties as assigned
- A Ph.D. in the field of science, engineering, or mathematics required, academic background in the biomedical sciences may be a plus
- Minimum of three years’ experience, beyond the completion of a Ph.D, with STEM program planning and implementation at the institutional level
- Experience in quantitative and qualitative program evaluation preferable
- Experience organizing peer-reviewed competitions a plus
- Experience creating and leading university level trainings/courses a plus
- Foreign Language skills in Arabic, French, and/or Spanish a plus
- Experience approaching potential program funders and donors through meetings, concept papers, and proposals a plus
- Strong interpersonal skills, collegiality, willingness and ability to identify problems and adapt
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including strong editorial writing skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, EndNote, online platforms for webinars and social networking, and website content management systems
- Ability to travel both within the U.S. and internationally
Interested candidates should submit a resume and brief cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by October 26, 2017. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If we think you might be a good fit for the role, we will contact you with next steps.
Visit https://www.aaas.org/ to learn more about what we do.
Find our latest job opportunities at: https://www.aaas.org/page/employment-aaas
AAAS is an EO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.