Education Support Specialist III
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience. Anticipated starting salary is in the low to mid $50s.
Web Announcement :
Student Retention Specialist
The George Mason University College of Science (COS) invites well-qualified candidates to apply for our Student Retention Specialist position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
- Working closely with the Associate Dean of Student Affairs and the Director of Undergraduate Academic Affairs in the College of Science (COS), coordinate the colleges efforts to ensure a seamless transition of transfer students into the Mason population;
- Work collaboratively in developing, implementing and coordinating interventions to improve student retention;
- Leveraging new technologies, help to identify students for targeted outreach and support, including transfer students, students experiencing transition challenges, and students on academic warning, probation and suspension;
- Work in both group and individual settings to assist students with the goal-setting process and in developing a plan to achieve academic, career, and life goals, as well as identifying barriers to success and implementing strategies to overcome them; and
- Serve as a resource, adviser, and coordinator for all student retention efforts in the college.
- Completion of a bachelorâ€™s degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Demonstrated knowledge of academic advising theories and principles and retention best practices;
- Excellent interpersonal communications and problem-solving skills;
- Experience working with undergraduate students in higher education;
- Experience with academic affairs policies and issues;
- Highly developed organizational skills;
- Ability to operate independently and as a team player;
- Maturity and a strong passion to help others;
- Experience using relational databases;
- Ability to multitask;
- Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds;
- Excellent verbal and writing skills; and
- Strong analytical thinking skills.
- Completion of a masterâ€™s degree in any field of study;
- Knowledge of student development theory and experience with its application;
- Experience using the Student Success Collaborative and Ellucian Banner;
- Experience working on student retention initiatives; and
- Completion of training related to Degree Works; academic advising; Student Success Collaborative (SSC); FERPA; Ethics, Diversity and Cultural Awareness; and accessibility services for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02753z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :