Legislative Staff Assistant
SUMMARY: Provides administrative support to NRA legislative staff.
SCOPE: Pleasant manner required as job involves frequent contact with federal and state lawmakers and their staff, officials of other membership organizations, media representatives, and other highly placed officials. Some travel may be required.
- Work on special projects as directed
- Provide support on all aspects of legislative, political and communications efforts
- Stay informed about firearms issues at the federal and state level
- Answer and screen incoming phone calls; route appropriately. Telephone responsibilities include responding to legislative inquiries.
- Respond to requests and comments and explain organization policy positions and legislative activities to interested parties
- Perform routine administrative tasks for staff as needed (expense reports, sorting and prioritizing correspondence, maintaining files).
- Write memoranda, letters and reports as directed
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: (BA/BS) required, preferably in Political Science, Government Relations, or related field. Knowledge and support of NRA issues, policies and firearms/sportsmen-related issues is essential. Prior political work experience is helpful. Prior office experience preferred. Familiarity with firearms is a strong plus (must be at least 21 years of age).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES: Demonstrated effective communication skills, both written and verbal are required. Flexibility and ability to work effectively under pressure, meet deadlines, and manage numerous tasks simultaneously is essential. Attention to detail and strong organizational skills are necessary. PC proficiency (MS Office) is required; email and Internet research skills are assumed. Firearm knowledge is preferred, not required.
To apply, send resume with cover letter stating salary requirements (REQUIRED) to email@example.com. The NRA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (minority/women/disabled) providing an excellent benefits package, including generous 401k match, onsite cafe, free parking, and more. Please visit our website at nra.org to learn more about us.