Info Reporting Specialist I
PenFed is hiring an Information Reporting Specialist/Tax Compliance and Reporting Specialist at our Alexandria, Virginia location. The primary purpose of this job is to assist in the implementation and processing for end of year tax reporting to PenFed members and government agencies as required by law. Additionally, the incumbent will assist in the processing of unclaimed property.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job duties and the position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Assist with end of year reporting for credit union members worldwide, including the review and creation of substitute forms for approval by the Puerto Rico government.
- Assist in the processing and reporting of all unclaimed property as well as answering questions and concerns related to previous reported property (i.e. savings and checking accounts, uncashed dividends checks or payroll checks, etc.)
- Coordinate with the Estate Accounts department as needed to ensure proper tax reporting to deceased members and their joint owners, beneficiaries and/or heirs. Assist in the calculations for deceased members’ accounts in order to determine the reportable amounts for the decedent, beneficiary (ies) or other recipient(s) as applicable.
- Provide assistance to PenFed staff regarding tax reporting matters and deceased account processing to respond to questions in a timely manner. Also, communicate with members regarding questions about their tax statement, backup withholding concerns and general tax reporting concerns.
- Assist with the review and response to recipients inquiries regarding tax statement. Conduct research to determine if the tax statement is incorrect and provide a response. If necessary, prepare a corrected tax statement and provide to recipients.
- Assist in coordinating with Information Technology staff, software companies, form vendors and the IRS to ensure correct and timely development of forms and the generation of end-of-year (EOY) tax statements. This includes but not limited to: 1098, 1098-E, 1099-A, 1099-C, 1099-INT, 1099-MISC, 1099-Q, 1099-R, 5498, 5498-ESA; and IRA Foreign Reporting Forms: 1042 & 1042-S; Department of Treasury Puerto Rico Forms: 486-A, 486-B, and 487-A and the required backup withholding notifications.
- Assist in the processing and reporting of all unclaimed property as well as answering questions and concerns related to previously reported property.
- Remain current on federal and state regulations applicable to end of year reporting for both United States and Puerto Rico.
- Assist in the annual process to re-certify non-resident aliens in compliance with IRS regulations.
- Assist in the certification of all IT related changes to ensure proper implementation.
- Assist in complying with IRS back-up withholding requirements.
- Maintain inventory of end of year forms and envelopes to ensure adequate supply.
Education and Experience
Equivalent combination of education and experience is considered.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. is required.
- Associate’s Degree in a related field is preferred.
- Minimum of one (1) year of relevant experience is required.
- Experience with PenFed’s operational systems such as Hogan and Penguin is preferred.
This position will not supervise employees.
Licenses and Certifications
There are no additional certifications required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an indoor office setting with moderate noise.
*Most roles require working in an office setting with moderate noise and the ability to lift 25 pounds.*
Limited travel to various worksites is required.
About UsEstablished in 1935, PenFed today is one of the country’s strongest and most stable financial institutions with over 1.6 million members and over $23 billion in assets. We serve members in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as in Guam, Puerto Rico, Okinawa, and Portugal. We are federally insured by NCUA and we are an Equal Housing Lender. We are available to members worldwide, via the web, seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day.
Our mission isn’t simply to help our members get by. We exist to help them realize every ounce of their potential. We exist to educate, and to encourage. We exist to usher their dreams into the land of reality.
We provide our employees with a lucrative benefits package including robust medical, dental and vision plan options, plenty of paid time off, 401k with employer match, on-site fitness facilities at our larger locations, and more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PenFed management will maintain and observe personnel policies which will not discriminate or permit harassment or retaliation against a person because of race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status or obligation, the presence of a physical and/or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, and all statuses protected by applicable state or local law in all recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, overtime, position classifications, work assignments, facilities, promotions, transfers, employee treatment, and in all other terms and conditions of employment. PenFed will also prohibit retaliation against individuals for raising a complaint of discrimination or harassment or participating in an investigation of same.
PenFed will also reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability so that they can apply for a job or perform the essential functions of a job unless doing so causes a direct threat to these individuals or others in the workplace and the threat cannot be eliminated by reasonable accommodation or if the accommodation creates an undue hardship to PenFed. Contact human resources (HR) with any questions or requests for accommodation at 703-838-1568.