Assistant Director, Member Central Support
Who We Are
"The advancement of science should be the chief concern of a nation that would conserve and increase the welfare of its people."
-James McKeen Cattell, former AAAS President and Editor of Science
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is an international non-profit organization dedicated to advancing science for the benefit of all people. For over a century, AAAS has been a force for science, from helping to establish science as a credible field in the 19th century to using satellite imaging technology to document human rights abuses in 2007. We are recognized as the world’s largest general scientific society and the proud publisher of the Science family of journals. Past presidents have included astronomer Edward Charles Pickering, anthropologist Margaret Mead, and biologist Stephen Jay Gould. Our mission is centered on the belief that STEM research and education can help solve many of the challenges the world faces today.
AAAS is a culture steeped in history, but adaptive to change and new ideas. We recognize the hard work of our employees and encourage the development of our staff. Our colleagues represent an array of expertise from scholarly publishing to digital marketing, educational research to government relations, all with a shared focus on mission. At AAAS, you are part of a talented team, dedicated to advancing science and serving society.
Work With Us
We have an exciting opportunity for a full-time Assistant Director, MemberCentral Support in Washington, DC. The primary focus of the Assistant Director is to improve member satisfaction, strengthen AAAS member loyalty, and develop more efficient business processes. This individual will drive organizational excellence by continually analyzing processes and systematic issues and identifying and implementing solutions. The Assistant Director will lead and direct a staff of 8 employees and play a key role in transforming the current operations into a best of class experience for our members and customers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Sets and executes the overall strategy for MemberCentral Support, including organizational structure, policies and procedures, performance expectations, and operational functions
- Responsible for achieving optimal performance on key areas of performance by effectively assessing staffing needs and managing the planning, hiring, scheduling, evaluation, and coaching of the team to meet the performance objectives
- Manages and reviews the work of team including but not limited to staff responses to member phone inquiries, voice mail messages, emails, data entry, financial transactions and other activities
- Develops staffing model to provide coverage needed to meet the volume of work and achieve key performance indicators (KPIs); identifies and tracks activities that drive additional volume of work
- Establishes appropriate reporting and tracking for the program; maintains and distributes MemberCentral Support reports including ACD reports, contact reports, and other reports as needed, and uses the results to drive improvements
- Develops policies, processes, and procedures necessary to ensure and improve member satisfaction; creation of process mapping and related documentation such as Standard (Shared) Operating Procedures; develops work flow management tools and continually evaluates effectiveness
- Drive the efforts to deliver a new infrastructure for the team including an association management system, case management system, knowledge base, and comprehensive training program
- Manages special projects as needed to support the organization, including but is not limited to, Honorary Fellows, affinity benefit program participation, life member verification, and member ballots
- Works in tandem with the Manager, Training and Quality Assurance to develop new employee and ongoing training programs, including the overall goals and documentation of the programs
- Partners with the Manager, Training and Quality Assurance to design and launch a Quality Assurance program to assess adherence standards, business rules, regulations, and key performance indicators
- Identifies, analyzes and resolves complex issues and handles executive escalations; properly documenting the issues, working across the organization to resolve, and responding to members verbally and in writing
- Establishes, maintains and oversees that there is strict adherence to AAAS and state, federal and international regulations related to secure management of member data
- Builds strong relationships across the organization to create awareness of the MemberCentral Support strategy and role
- Keeps abreast of technological advances that can further support the member experience
- Works with IT to develop a plan for improvements based on current operations and system capabilities
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 5 years of member/customer service management experience within call center environment
- Minimum of 5 years of people management experience
- High-level competency in customer service, change and innovation, strategic thinking, relationship building, talent management
- Extensive experience on a service team, including strong working knowledge of service processes, policies and techniques
- Working knowledge of Call Center technology systems, including Automated Call Distribution and call processing
- Experience with Sales Force Service Cloud and online case management systems a plus
- A proven ability to train, develop and coach staff
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with strong organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Comfortable with, and adept at, managing change and a growing customer and member base
- Strong communications skills – written and presentation
- Strong analytical skills to analyze service performance and operations
- Comfortable working with all levels within the organization and its membership
- Ability to work a flexible schedule with occasional overtime based on operational needs
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter by October 19, 2017. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If we think you might be a good fit for the role, we will contact you with next steps.
Visit https://www.aaas.org/ to learn more about what we do. Find our latest job opportunities at: https://www.aaas.org/page/employment-aaas
AAAS is an EO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.