Senior Auditor (Financial)
Congress created the Office of the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR) to provide independent and objective oversight of Afghanistan reconstruction projects and activities. SIGAR conducts audits and investigations to promote efficiency and effectiveness of reconstruction programs and detect and prevent waste, fraud, and abuse.
About the Position:
This position is located in the Arlington, VA, Office of the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR). Temporary travel to Afghanistan may be required.
Temporary appointment may be extended upon organizational approval.
The incumbent identifies, plans, oversees, and reviews financial audits performed by independent public accounting (IPA) firms in accordance with Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS) of U.S.-funded contracts, grants, and cooperative agreements for Afghanistan reconstruction. The incumbent is considered an expert in planning and performing financial audits and will use that knowledge to review audit programs, working papers, and draft audit reports prepared by the IPA; meet with the IPA and auditee to explain audit purpose, establish reporting procedures, and discuss audit findings; and, follow the progress of the audit engagement, resolving problems as they arise. The incumbent reports to the Senior Audit Manager for Financial Audits.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
Occasional travel - Occasional overseas travel may be required
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 11 position.
- Incumbent occupies a position that may be considered essential to support the SIGAR mission. If your position is considered emergency essential, failure to remain in your position may result in separation for the efficiency of the Federal Service (Ch. 75, Title 5 USC; FPM Ch. 752).
- Domestic and overseas travel may be required. For overseas travel, the incumbent will be required to meet minimum standards of fitness for deployment to the CENTCOM region to include the ability to wear personal protective equipment, including protective mask, ballistic helmet, body armor, and chemical/biological protective garments.
- This position requires the incumbent to complete a Form SF 312, Classified Information Nondisclosure Agreement.
- The incumbent may be required to submit an Executive Branch Confidential Financial Disclosure Report.
- This incumbent must be eligible for and be able to maintain a TOP SECRET security clearance and be subject to Random Drug Testing IAW AR 600-85 and Department of Defense Directive 2010.9.
Basic requirement for an Auditor position:
A. Degree: Bachelor's degree (or higher degree) in accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term "accounting" means "accounting and/or auditing" in this standard. Similarly, "accountant" should be interpreted, generally, as "accountant and/or auditor.")
B. Combination of Education and Experience: Must include at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following: (1) Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law; OR (2) A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; OR (3) Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; AND (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; AND (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Specialized experience required: demonstrated knowledge and experience in conducting and overseeing financial or performance audits in conformity with professional and regulatory standards and guidance.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please submit your foreign education evaluation with your application.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Applicants should send a resume by electronic transmission, to
email@example.com or fax 703-602-8753 Attention: Human Resources- Senior Auditor (Financial) Announcement.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package will be forwarded to the selecting official for further review. Errors or omissions may affect your consideration for employment.