Mid-level design strategy
WP BrandStudio - the branded content arm of the Washington Post needs you.
First and foremost, we are storytellers. At the Washington Post, getting the story right—and read—is deeply rooted in our DNA. It's hard-wired into our organization, and driven forward by a world-class leadership that brings the latest and greatest technology to support best-in-class news and analysis. We marry these journalistic chops with a story-first mentality and an experimental focus to make your brand objectives come true.
We come loaded with a formidable blend of capabilities. Masterful storytelling. High-tech executions. And the experience to know what to use, and when—all in the service of creating the kind of content that gets read, shared and acted upon. Our formula is simple: Find the brand's story, then tell it with exactly the blend of words, images and immersive activity it requires. We've learned that's what it takes to get a Washington Post reader emotionally and intellectually engaged.
Wp BrandStudio applies the Washington Post's award-winning investigative lens and a deep understanding of our audience to create compelling multimedia stories—from concept to production to distribution.
WP BrandStudio is looking for a mid-level designer to focus on marketing and strategy. S/he will be responsible for answering RFPs alongside our strategists. An ideator and storyteller at heart, s/he will help conceive creative ideas from a visual perspective as well as create custom beautiful, detailed mocks to accompany proposals. With training - the designer will be expected to understand the studio's production costs and timing - to help determine the scope and flexibility of each strategy from a design perspective.
In order conceive the best ideas and design the most effective mocks, the designer will balance client KPIs with studio ‘best practices' to create the best concepts possible for our clients. S/he will collaborate proactively and continuously with the strategists, production team and other designers and will thrive working across teams.
We are looking for someone that understands advertising as well as editorial storytelling. The studio is growing at a rapid pace and the right person for this role will be hungry to learn, and put in the hard work and time to grow as a designer.
What does success look like? Within 4-6 months the designer will be completely fluent in our production structure, product offerings and abilities as a creative group and apply this knowledge directly to the strategies and mocks. This designer will be a proactive self-starter and help steer the strategy team in the right direction - based on production knowledge and creative knowledge. S/he should frequently promote new ideas and forms of storytelling while staying up to speed on the studio's best practices and competitor's work to help guide the creative process.
The designer will be dedicated to 95% to presale / strategy work, while helping out with production/post-sale work if bandwidth allows. S/he will report directly to the creative director and art directors of the branded content team.
Candidates should have exceptional portfolios containing designs in a variety of media. When applying for this position, provide a link to your online portfolio or send a PDF portfolio. Candidates who do not submit a portfolio will not be considered.
Attention to detail
Natural leader and teacher
Fearless, proactive participation
Love of collaboration
Ability to do research
Working understanding of digital design
Working understanding of UX / UI
Working understanding of responsive design
• Conceptualize and design: presentations, graphics, ads and other sales materials
• Collaboration with the Creative Director, Art Directors, straights and Editors
• Work closely with sales representatives to develop custom collateral, presentations and proposals that promote various Washington Post platforms
• Develop and maintain a presentation library of high-quality creative executions
• Coordinate with the Sales and Marketing teams to create marketing campaigns and promotional materials that drive revenue and maintain brand integrity
• Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design or related discipline from an accredited college or university, or equivalent training and/or experience
• 3-5 years professional experience with a clear understanding of best practices in print production and web design. Media or Publishing industry experience is a plus.
• Proven experience in print, web and presentation design, including PowerPoint
• Very strong graphic design ability: skills in typography, illustration, composition and color theory
• Understanding of the sales process at an advertising-based organization
• Ability to create innovative designs built upon an established brand style
• Expert-level skills in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Microsoft PowerPoint
• Proficiency with the Adobe Creative Suite, Keynote and Microsoft Office a must
• Must be a team player who thrives in a collaborative environment
• Must possess strong organizational and time management skills
• Must be comfortable following direction and implementing changes, while balancing strong design and tight deadlines