Principal Regulatory Engineer
Primary Purpose of the Position
Join an innovative team that is responsible for transforming the customer experience by creating and bringing to market new products and services based upon globalized connectivity without boundaries. We reach beyond the traditional satellite industry and the broader communications landscape. As part of the Intelsat vision, we will define new products with the performance, features, and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers who will continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
In this role you will participate in the development of Spectrum Policy in support of the deployment of Intelsat's satellite fleet. As a Principal Regulatory Engineer, you will work with various engineering and regulatory aspects such as developing the technical part of space station and earth station applications, conducting technical analyses to determine the impact of domestic and international policy decisions as well as provide technical support for responses to Federal Communication Commission (FCC) Rulemaking Proceedings.
- Conduct technical analysis in support of Intelsat (and the FSS industry) in response to the regulatory proceedings.
- Conduct interference and technical analyses to support intersystem coordination activities
- Provide technical support to Intelsat Regulatory Affairs on ITU and FCC projects.
- Prepare satellite applications and engineering statements in support of Intelsat's FCC applications.
- Identify test locations for in-orbit testing (IOT) of new satellites and conduct IOT coordination with external operators.
- Participate in the development of regulatory contributions made to Working Party meetings of the ITU and other regional organizations, as necessary.
- Coordinate with internal and external stakeholders to prepare technical analyses to determine the impact of policy decisions on the satellite industry in general and Intelsat in particular.
- Participate in the US preparation process for Working Party meetings of the ITU, as necessary
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- At least (5) five years of relevant experience.
- Basic knowledge of satellite communications
- Knowledge of FCC rules and ITU Radio Regulations.
- Well-developed negotiating skills with the ability to strategically assess evolving positions
- Effective verbal and written communication skills with the ability to quickly and fully understand the implications of a text (e.g. ITU Radio Regulations text).
- Proficiency in MS Office suite of applications.
- Strong customer focus and desire to drive tasks to satisfactory conclusion.
- Knowledge of satellite link budgets and interference analysis.
- Experience with FCC satellite applications and FCC proceedings.
- Master's in Business Administration (MBA) or Advanced Degree in electrical engineering or equivalent.
- This position requires ITAR access; all candidates must be US Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.