Public Relations Specialist - Healthcare Policy
Altarum is excited to announce that our Communications and Public Affairs team, based in Washington, D.C., seeks a public relations specialist to help build the organization’s brand and profile through strategic media outreach, digital and creative strategies, thought leadership, and general support.
Join a high-performing and collaborative communications and public affairs team at Altarum, a national nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a better, more sustainable future through ideas and action that transform American health and healthcare.
With its headquarters in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and an office in downtown Washington, D.C., Altarum is addressing the greatest healthcare challenges—from sustainable health spending and payment reform to the opioid crisis and consumer choice—with some of the most influential thinkers, foundations, government institutions, and corporations in healthcare.
- Media relations. Monitor news media, identify and proactively pitch story ideas, develop relationships with healthcare journalists, prepare briefing materials for spokespersons, and capture media metrics and prepare reports.
- Writing. Write press releases, blog posts, website content, and marketing materials such as brochures, event invitations, FAQs, white papers and fact sheets.
- Public affairs. Monitor healthcare policy and legislation. Prepare briefing materials for Altarum staff in advance of meetings or events on the Hill.
- Events. Provide logistics support to Altarum policy and research programs in convening thought leaders.
- Digital. Collaborate with Communications and Public Affairs team to integrate media and policy activity into social media outreach. Help ensure content on Altarum.org is fresh, relevant and compelling by creating new content and updating the site regularly.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, such as journalism, political science, history, humanities, or communications.
- 3 – 5 years of experience in a public relations role.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Ability to work effectively with people at all levels of the organization, including executive leadership.
- Solid understanding of healthcare policy, institutions, issues and media.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement when developing communications strategy and messaging on sensitive issues.
- Experience using a content management system, such as Word Press, to upload and format website content.
- Collaborative, flexible and proactive work style.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and consistently meet deadlines.
Culture and Benefits:
- Collaborative and supportive team; dynamic environment that emphasizes integrity, personal commitment, excellence and teamwork.
- Meaningful, interesting and challenging work.
- Outstanding benefits program that includes paid time off, tuition reimbursement, 401k (5% employer contribution), a flexible work environment that supports telework, and much more.
Altarum is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, or disability.