Assistant Director, Finance & Administration
Assistant Director, Finance & Administration
Office of Institutional Advancement
Exempt, Regular, Full-Time, Pay Grade 2.1
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks an Assistant Director, Budget Administration in the Office of Institutional Advancement. The Assistant Director is responsible for providing support for the day-to-day administration and management of financial and business operations of the Office of Institutional Advancement.
The working title for this position is Assistant Director, Budget Administration, however, the classification title is Assistant Director, Administration and Budget.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Manages all state and University System of Maryland Foundation (USMF) budget accounts (including monitoring and reconciling all expenditures, encumbrances, commitments, and revenues and maintaining current balances while assuring adherence to all policies regarding activity on the accounts). Serves as the primary liaison with USMF, Financial Aid, and other UMUC internal areas to ensure appropriate procedures for disbursement of funds are observed. Creates and implements internal controls for proper disbursement procedures.
- Manages departmental budgets for Institutional Advancement, Alumni Relations and Career Services. Management includes monitoring and authorizing payments; authorizing funds to be moved; requisition and receipt processing; review and approval of expenses; review and management of Schedule C funds
- Oversees and provides reporting of expenditures/revenues and advises the Vice President of problem areas and recommends solutions; prepares budget amendments and maintains all financial records for IA. Develops and implements operating policies and procedures for budget approvals and budget reporting. Provide budget forecasts and works with department heads in IA to develop annual working budgets.
- Leads the administrative team for the Office of Institutional Advancement. The Administrative team is primarily responsible for providing office and scheduling support to members of the IA staff, assisting with staff meeting and events planning and logistics, recruitment and supervision of student workers, and database maintenance, cleanup and management of the alumni and IA constituent records.
- Develops and implements reporting systems for both grant and USMF accounts and disseminate monthly and quarterly reports, respectively, to PIs and account business contacts. Works with constituent departments to ensure both the spending down of grant and donor funds and compliance with federal and state laws and donor intent. Provides reporting information necessary for USM Foundation accounts including information for stewardship activities.
- Directs and maintains comprehensive listings for both foundation accounts and grants that includes purpose, date of implementation/expiration, administrator/PI, and original donor.
- Acts as the primary contact with UMUC's Office of Procurement or USMF to develop/review proposals between vendors and UMUC or USMF and ensures executed agreements are appropriately fulfilled
- Manages all financial sponsorships that the University supports, which includes but is not limited to ensuring all benefits are received.
- Works closely with the Gift Administration team members. Develops and implements strategies for improving gift acceptance and administration policies and procedures. Serves as gift processing backup and assists in managing the foundation account and allocation data in the donor database. Reconciles the account and allocation data so that it corresponds to the account data as recorded in Financial Edge. Ensure supporting fund documentation is maintained electronically and systematically.
- Leads the process with Associate Vice President of Donor Relations and Special Projects and fundraisers to develop, seek approval, disseminate, and maintain all Memorandum of Understanding (MOUs) for Institutional Advancement
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelor's degree from an institution of higher learning plus a minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in a combination of budgeting, accounting, payroll, purchasing, or administrative work. Minimum three (3) years of supervisory experience or managing operations. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, time management skills, be detail-oriented, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Grants management experience is highly preferred. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Financial Edge is also preferred
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you are required to create an account prior to completing your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to check on the status of your application or to apply to additional jobs.