6 days left
- Full Time
The American Association of University Professors (AAUP) is pleased to announce a Research Assistant position, to be filled as soon as possible, in our national office located in Washington, DC. The Research Assistant is responsible for providing support for our research program and Faculty Compensation Survey. The Research Assistant will be located in the AAUP’s national office in Washington, DC, and will report to the AAUP Director of External Relations. The position involves working with diverse individuals both inside and outside of the AAUP office.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Research Assistant plays a key role in our Faculty Compensation Survey (FCS) as well as other research projects. The position will include the following duties and responsibilities:
- Under the day-to-day direction of the Senior Researcher, assist with operation of the AAUP Faculty Compensation Survey:
- Receive and process completed survey response files; check submissions for accuracy and solve problems in consultation with the Senior Researcher
- Assist with producing aggregate tables and institutional listings for publication
- Answer questions from institutional respondents regarding the survey process
- Generate standard peer comparison reports utilizing web portal
- Prepare custom data analyses as requested by utilizing web portal.
- Other duties as needed
2. Respond to routine information requests on other higher education topics utilizing published sources.
3. Participate in activities of the AAUP national office staff.
4. Maintain an understanding of key higher education issues, including academic labor, academic freedom, and shared governance.
5. Other duties as assigned.
The research assistant should have strong statistical/mathematical skills and a demonstrated attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy. Other requirements for the position include:
- Baccalaureate degree in field with a significant quantitative component required. Graduate work preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required.
- Experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives is required.
- Demonstrated familiarity with large scale relational database software required.
- Experience using MS Excel to produce summaries of data required.
- Ability to work long, irregular hours, including weekend work required.
- One or more years of work experience in a higher education or non-profit setting with a research component preferred.
- Volunteer or work experience with labor unions or professional associations preferred.
- Knowledge or experience in using R (or another scripting language for processing and analyzing data with willingness to learn R) preferred.
Salary range: Starting salary of $50,000 for minimum qualifications; higher salary for preferred qualifications and experience. Generous benefits package, including health insurance and 401(K).
The Research Assistant position is categorized as an administrative assistant position. This position is designated as an administrative assistant position in the Department of External Relations and is based in DC. This position is part of the staff union bargaining unit. This is a non-exempt position, eligible for overtime pay.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to Researcher.Search@aaup.org. Please include YOUR NAME in the subject line of the email. You may also mail your resume and cover letter to AAUP, 1133 Nineteenth Street NW, Suite 200, Washington, DC 20036, Attention: Research Assistant Search. No phone calls please. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until an adequate number of qualified applications have been received. For additional information about the AAUP, please visit www.aaup.org.
The AAUP is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability, race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, genetic information, matriculation, political affiliation, or other characteristics unrelated to professional performance.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Apply for Research Assistant
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly