Business Analyst I
- Full Time
Who We Are
"The advancement of science should be the chief concern of a nation that would conserve and increase the welfare of its people."
-James McKeen Cattell, former AAAS President and Editor of Science
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is an international non-profit organization dedicated to advancing science for the benefit of all people. For over a century, AAAS has been a force for science, from helping to establish science as a credible field in the 19th century to using satellite imaging technology to document human rights abuses in 2007. We are recognized as the world’s largest general scientific society and the proud publisher of the Science family of journals. Past presidents have included astronomer Edward Charles Pickering, anthropologist Margaret Mead, and biologist Stephen Jay Gould. Our mission is centered on the belief that STEM research and education can help solve many of the challenges the world faces today.
AAAS is a culture steeped in history, but adaptive to change and new ideas. We recognize the hard work of our employees and encourage the development of our staff. Our colleagues represent an array of expertise from scholarly publishing to digital marketing, educational research to government relations, all with a shared focus on mission. At AAAS, you are part of a talented team, dedicated to advancing science and serving society.
Work With Us
We have an exciting full-time opportunity for a Business Analyst I in our Washington, DC office. Reporting to the Chief Information & Engagement Officer (CIEO), this individual will be responsible for providing financial analysis and general administrative support to the Office of Membership and Information Technology.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with the balancing of IT, Membership, and Marketing departmental expenses including maintaining databases and spreadsheets of transactions and purchase orders
- Manage the production of a monthly Membership financial and progress status report
- Assist CIEO in creation of cost and revenue performance reports for the Office of Membership as needed
- Assist with the development and on-going tracking of departmental budgets for the Office of Membership and the IT Department
- Schedule and coordinate departmental events, travel, and inter-departmental meetings
- Process IT equipment purchases including the gathering of all appropriate approvals prior to purchase execution
- Communicate regularly with Association departments regarding the status of their IT purchase requests.
- Maintain confidentiality and discretion involving business operations of the Membership, Marketing, and IT departments and the Association
- Keep management well informed as to progress of on-going activities
- Additional duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Must have at least 1 year of administrative support experience including handling financial data
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Excel required
- Experience supporting and interacting with senior level management preferred
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, and ability to manage a variety of tasks simultaneously, set priorities for multiple projects, and meet multiple deadlines
- A general understanding of accounting principles
Interested candidates should submit a resume and brief cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by October 18, 2017. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If we think you might be a good fit for the role, we will contact you with next steps.
Visit https://www.aaas.org/ to learn more about what we do.
Find our latest job opportunities at: https://www.aaas.org/page/employment-aaas
AAAS is an EO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.