This Database Administrator position combines the operational activities of maintaining a highly available data environment with the stimulating work of a database developer on varied projects. If you enjoy the challenge of automating database tasks and systems support tasks but also look for challenging database development projects, this could be the opportunity you are seeking. Working as a Database Administrator for the Kennedy Center for Performing Arts provides a unique look at how systems are being used to promote engaging art that inspires audiences, educates communities, and enhances our society. This is a highly technical role that will support many dynamic and challenging efforts across our organization as we move toward a culture that relies on data to measure success and engagement. A desire to solve complex business problems with technical solutions is required.
Under general direction, develops, implements, and maintains relational and multi-dimensional databases. The Database administrator also controls change to database schemas, and monitors production data loads. Works closely with applications development, system administration, web and data warehouse development teams. DBA develops policies and procedures to ensure the security and integrity of the enterprise databases. The DBA troubleshoots and resolves database performance, database capacity, replication, tuning, and other distributed data issues. Collaboration with the system administrators for the configuration and selection of database operating systems is expected and required. The work of the DBA involves providing recommendation of the long range plans for future use of IT assets during the design phase and ongoing database administration support thereafter.
In all areas of responsibility, Database Administrator will ensure a high degree of customer service and will incorporate various approaches to meeting business needs, demonstrating patience, creativity, and problem solving techniques. The Database Administrator has frequent interaction with Kennedy Center colleagues, and must be effective in interpersonal communications and request resolution in a dynamically changing, fast - paced, high pressure atmosphere.
The Database Administrator will assist members of the Information Systems and Information Technology teams in supporting Kennedy Center business applications, processes, systems, and networks to enable the organization to meet overall institutional goals consistent with Responsible Information Management and other applicable policies and regulations.
Duties and Responsibility:
50% Database management/administration, including monitoring jobs, backups, restores, replication, maintenance and upgrades. This includes tuning databases, hardware, queries, and recommending projects and task to improve both transactional and DW databases.
25% SSIS development and/or advanced SQL Scripting
25% Documentation of Database environment, including diagrams and processes
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or equivalent experience.
- Five or more years of experience as a Database Administrator in IT operations
- Established experience in developing and adhering to, and communicating technical standards, responsible information management policies, and processes.
- Significant experience with following technologies is required: relational database theory and techniques, operational business systems, and reporting, and business intelligence.
Minimum Skills and/or Knowledge Required:
- Strong organizational skills and ability to judge and juggle multiple, changing priorities.
- Current Microsoft SQL certification or other industry Certification or demonstrated equivalent technical proficiency.
- Knowledge of programming languages such as SQL, VBScript and PowerShell, SQLServer database administrator (DBA) enterprise manager, functions for installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, performance tuning, and backup/recovery, data modeling tools, proficiency in SQL Server Reporting Services
- Demonstrated strength in problem solving, including the ability to creatively apply appropriate workarounds and engage in root - cause resolution.. Also, following skills are desired: Windows OS Infrastructure Components (AD, Group Policies etc.) as it pertains to database administration field as well as SQL Analysis services, and/or other OLAP tools/concepts.
The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts is a world premier performing arts organization and our nation’s cultural center. Diversity is a critical component of our mission, vision, and values. Our staff exhibits a wide variety of perspectives and experiences which enable us to foster and strengthen an environment of diversity and inclusion.
For consideration apply online at www.kennedy-center.org/jobs.