Research Associate for Biobanking, Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center - Georgetown University Med
7 days left
- Full Time
Research Associate for Biobanking, Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center - Georgetown University Medical Center
Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Care Center (LCCC) clinicians are dedicated to providing the best professional care, delivered with compassion, for all patients. We seek to prevent, treat, and cure cancers by linking scientific discovery, expert and compassionate patient care, quality education, and partnership with the community, guided by the principle of cura personalis - "care for the whole person.
The Research Associate serves as an active member of a team of tissue biobanking specialists, coordinating routine laboratory tests for specific participants with the Clinical Research Unit, data entry, maintenance of records, and general laboratory support. S/he handles activities related to the “High-Quality Tumor Biobank and Clinical Database,” a study at Lombardi that is sponsored by Indivumed, an integrated oncology company. Reporting to the Research Specialist, the Research Associate has duties that include but are not limited to:
- Collects Clinically Annotate Samples and attends tissue collection procedures and areas (for example, surgery, biopsy, and surgical pathology).
- Observes and documents surgical and anesthesiological data points.
- Obtains blood and urine samples from anesthesiology team and distributes in specialized tubes.
- Receives resected tumor/tissue from surgeon/care provider.
- Transports tissue to surgical pathology and obtains an extra piece of tissue by means of close cooperation with surgical pathology assistant.
- Processes obtained extra tissue further to prepare tissue blocks from tumor and normal areas of the resected specimen according to standard operation procedure compliance.
- Transports blood, urine and tissue to the central laboratory for processing and storage.
- Interacts with - and at times interviews - patients to obtain informed consent and collect the clinical data that is not in the medical charts to complete the database.
- Conducts bedside patient interviews to complete data acquisition questionnaire for clinical annotation.
- Registers tissue samples and associated data and in the database.
- Screens patients to identify eligible patients and obtains consent for tissue and data donation from qualified pool of patient population.
- Reviews medical charts and patient records for primary and follow-up/outcome data collection and documentation.
- Engages in freezer temperature monitoring and required maintenance activities.
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience in a research setting and handling biological samples
- Knowledge of benchtop laboratory functions and cell counting using a hemocytometer and/or automated cell counter
- Organized, punctual, and detailed oriented
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to stand while processing samples
- Fluency in English -knowledge of a secondary language is welcome
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.