Assistant Director of Public Safety
Howard Community College - Assistant Director of Public Safety
Thank you for considering Howard Community College in your search.
About Howard Community College:
Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!
Assists Director of Public Safety in overseeing the security and safety operations of the college. Will manage security operations, to include, dispatch, patrol, investigations, access control reporting, student identification system and daily security officer duties. Ensures that college constituents adhere to federal and state laws, county ordinances and college rules and regulations. Fulfill duties and responsibilities in accordance with Special Police Officer Commission.
- Manage the daily operations of the public safety department.
- Assist with the management of contract security officers.
- Manage the accreditation program accountability requirements
- Develop policies and procedures for public safety department
- Investigates personnel complaints and works with the human resources department concerning corrective action
- Develop and deliver training programs for Public Safety and Security Officers.
- Advise director on matters related to strategic planning and budgeting
- Oversee departmental caseload and initiate investigations as necessary
- Manage internal complaint investigation process
- Prepare/review all incident reports and processes them according to HCC procedure.
- Monitors compliance and identify inefficiencies periodic audits.
- Ensure college compliance with federal reporting requirements for security incidents.
- Serve as liaison between the college and local law enforcement.
- Attend meetings and conferences to maintain state of the art campus safety practices, and shares new information obtained with the on-site manager.
- Coordinates security activities with Facilities, Development, Public Relations & Marketing, and other college departments in the planning and implementation of security functions for special events
- Perform routine inspections of College facilities to ensure compliance with government regulations, safety, and crime prevention concerns.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Public Safety or Vice President of Administration and Finance.
- Provide supervision for all public safety and security personnel.
- AA degree or higher required; course work in criminal justice or security preferred.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in a management position preferably in a security or law enforcement.
- Security experience gained at a college or university campus is preferred
- Minimum of three (3) years supervisory experience required.
- Knowledge of surveillance procedures utilizing electronic equipment preferred.
- Knowledge of contract management procedures related to outsourced contract services preferred
- Ability to use routine equipment such as a desktop computer, two-way radio and experience with
- Microsoft office applications.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local criminal laws
- Knowledge of higher education regulations as they relate to student information and security
- preferred (Clery, FERPA and Title IX)
- Ability to interact in a positive, sensitive, courteous and understanding way with members of a
- A valid Maryland State Motor Vehicle Operator's License
- Ability to obtain a valid Maryland Special Police Officer Commission
- Ability to obtain a valid Maryland handgun permit or permit granted by the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act LEOSA
- Successful completion of a criminal background check that includes: no felony convictions, including guilty pleas or nolo contendre pleas to felony charges or any misdemeanor involving drug or weapons, criminal violations, theft or other misdemeanors involving moral turpitude, and acts of dishonesty.
- Pre-employment, post offer, drug test and physical exam required.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Regular attendance is a requirement of this job.
- Performs all duties while considering the impact of any actions on the college's sustainability initiatives in the areas of environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and economic prosperity.
- Will be armed in accordance to college policy and procedures
- Must be able to work flexible hours which could include nights or weekends.
- Must be able to respond to off hour emergencies/issues.
- Able to physically perform the required duties of the position, which include walking, climbing ladders, running, lifting 50 pounds from ground to waist and walk 10 feet and push/pull 100 lbs. 20 feet.
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Work Schedule: Core hours: 8:30am - 5pm, Monday - Friday
Compensation: $57,394 plus excellent health insurance, paid leave and tuition reimbursement.
Open Until Filled:
Best Consideration - Please Submit by September 29, 2017
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100. The TDD line phone # is: 443-518-4822.
1. Cover letter
Link for applications: