Communications and Digital Media Senior Specialist i
The Communications and Digital Media Senior Specialist is a key member of the public affairs and communications team, working closely with the EVP and Director to assist with a variety of activities and support functions including writing, editing, media relations, issues management, and working to raise the visibility of the industry, the association and key issues, specifically through the use of digital strategy. Works independently on assignments and leads various projects.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
• Manages content and creative for the Council's social media platforms (Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter) as well as Cosmeticsinfo.org employing SEO and SEM best practices to garner engaged and targeted traffic. Develops analytics reports to share with key stakeholders. Makes recommendations regarding content improvements and additions.
• Monitors industry issues in the news (traditional and social) and tracks NGO campaigns, and makes recommendations for possible engagement; this also includes developing story ideas that potentially impact the industry’s reputation. Distributes alerts and updates on key issues that appear in print, broadcast and online news outlets. Effectively communicates with member companies, sister associations and other key stakeholders on industry-related issues.
• Working closely with Director, handles media inquiries, gathering information to determine reporter's needs and deadlines; researches and gathers relevant background materials for media interviews; and coordinates department follow-up to garner media placement. Cultivates relationships with key reporters, bloggers and producers.
• Drafts news releases, position statements, newsletter articles, website copy, Twitter and Facebook content, and other relevant materials for final review by EVP, Public Affairs & Communications. Proofreads various materials that support the department’s work of protecting and enhancing reputation.
• In partnership with Director, posts statements, news releases and other relevant content to the Council's website. Manages the Council's online newsroom and makes determinations on appropriate content.
• Uses a variety of research tools for responding to public affairs and communications issues relevant to Council initiatives and other related organizations and member companies.
• Creates PowerPoint presentations for the department. Makes regular presentations to the Communications Executive Committee, and working with the Director, oversees content for quarterly member briefings for review and approval by EVP, Public Affairs and Communications.
• Manages outside vendors to ensure appropriate tracking, analysis, and reporting of Council and industry references in the media. Vendors include Trendkite, Google AdWords, Hootsuite, and PR Newswire. Makes recommendations for enhanced services.
• Manages all contact lists, including Committee lists, press (mainstream, beauty and trade), sister associations and international communications network.
• Coordinates public affairs committee meetings, prepares relevant handout materials and handles all logistics. Responsible for taking meeting minutes.
• Processes invoices and contracts for department; with EVP oversees budget and manages internal tracking system.
• Other duties may be assigned.
• Communication, Written - Strong writing and verbal skills, with the ability to analyze and condense complex information, often times on tight deadlines.
• Tactful - Ability to interact with all levels of staff and outside parties; excellent cross-cultural diplomacy skills.
• Privacy - Ability to handle confidential or sensitive issues and/or materials and is expected to maintain privacy and confidentiality of documents pertaining to program matters.
• Accuracy - Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
• Active Listening - Ability to actively attend to, convey, and understand the comments and questions of others.
• Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word with strong presentation skills.
• Creative - Ability to think in such a way as to produce a new concept or idea.
• Customer Oriented - Ability to take care of the customers’ needs while following company procedures.
• Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
• Honesty / Integrity - Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace and with member companies.
• Initiative - Ability to make decisions or take actions to solve a problem or reach a goal.
• Working Under Pressure - Ability to complete assigned tasks under stressful situations and meet tight deadlines.
• Interpersonal - Ability to get along well with a variety of personalities and individuals.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: Bachelor's Degree (four year college)
Experience: 5-7 years of experience in public relations, communications, and/or public affairs. Working knowledge of media relations with a significant emphasis on social and digital strategy. Agency experience preferred.
Techinical Skills: Social Media Platforms, Google Analytics, Google AdWords, Drupel, WordPress
Interested candidates must submit resume, cover letter, writing sample to Michelle Shands at email@example.com