Director of Research
THIS VACANCY HAS BEEN AMENDED TO EXTEND THE CLOSING DATE.
This position is located at the Broadcasting Board of Governors (BBG) in Washington, DC. The incumbent reports to the Director of the Office of Policy & Research and serves as the IBB Director of Research for all International Broadcasting Bureau (IBB) elements. The incumbent has full responsibility for overseeing the IBB U.S. International Media research program, including designing, executing, supervising, presenting and overseeing all management and programmatic research activities. This requires the incumbent to work closely with the Broadcasting Board of Governors (BBG) Network Leadership to manage a research staff and oversee research contractors. Responsible to develop, execute, and oversee a sophisticated, complex international media research strategy encompassing annual and multi-year research strategic/programmatic activities.
THIS POSITION IS NOT COVERED BY A UNION AGREEMENT
Note: Budgetary conditions may delay or otherwise affect filling this vacancy. However, all interested candidates should apply now.
The Broadcasting Board of Governors is conveniently located within walking distance to the Green, Orange, Silver, Yellow, and Blue Metro lines.
INTRODUCTION TO AGENCY
The Broadcasting Board of Governors (BBG), an independent federal agency, is an exciting, multi-cultural organization that encompasses all United States civilian international broadcasting. The BBG is comprised of five networks broadcasting in 61 languages that include the Voice of America, the Office of Cuba Broadcasting (Radio and TV Marti), and three grantee organizations - Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty; the Middle East Broadcasting Networks (Alhurra TV and Radio Sawa), and Radio Free Asia. The International Broadcasting Bureau provides transmission, administrative, and other support services; and three grantee organizations. Our staff of dedicated professionals serve as an example of a free and independent media, reaching a worldwide audience of 215 million people with news, information, and relevant discussions.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Suitability Determination: If selected, you will be subject to a security investigation to establish your suitability for federal employment. The security investigation will include, among other aspects, a review of your credit and legal history.
This position has been designated supervisory requiring that the selectee on an initial appointment as a supervisor or manager serve a one-year probationary period.
If selected for this vacancy, you will be required to file the OGE Form 450 (Confidential Financial Disclosure Report).
Specialized Experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Examples of specialized experience includes but not limited to: In-depth knowledge of international media research principles and methodology in order to establish guidelines and criteria for comparative, qualitative, and quantitative analysis of data; Expert knowledge of international media research trends and activities; detailed knowledge of international broadcasting players and their research activities; Knowledge of federal contracting policies, procedures and standards as expressed in the FAR, FIRMR and agency Manual of Administration in order to ensure the Office of Research writes proper statements of work, negotiate contracts and oversee the cost and schedule of active contractors.
GS-15: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level (GS-14), which is directly related to this line of work. In addition to the specialized experience listed above, the applicant should have the following: Knowledge and skill in operational and human resource management of analysts; project management principles, methods and practices in order to oversee directly and indirectly through supervision of staff to manage projects, to lead government staff and contractor teams, and to ensure the output and quality of work produced by staff and contractors; Ability to resolve conflicts and facilitate consensus among entities with different priorities; Expert knowledge, experience, and skills necessary to analyze research findings and formulate findings and recommendations to ensure current, accurate, comprehensive audience research essential to professional media.
Applicant cannot substitute education for experience.
1. If you are an eligible Inter agency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) applicant, you may apply for special selection over other candidates for this position. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85 or above on the rating criteria for this position. ICTAP eligibles must submit one of the following as proof of eligibility for the special selection priority: a separation notice; a "Notice of Personnel Action" (SF-50) documenting separation; an agency certification that you cannot be placed after injury compensation has been terminated; an OPM notification that your disability annuity has been terminated; OR a Military Department or National Guard Bureau notification that you are retired under 5 U.S.C. 8337(h) or 8456.
2. If you are still on active duty, you may submit a statement of service from your Personnel Command which states the date you entered active duty, the date you are separating, and the campaign medals you have received.
3. If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/59 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
4. If selected, you will be subject to a security investigation to establish your suitability for federal employment. The security investigation will include, among other aspects, a review of your credit and legal history.
5. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
Additional selections may be made if additional/identical vacancies occur within 90 days of certificate issuance.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once your resume or application is submitted, a review of your qualification will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements and competencies required for this position.
- Decision Making
- Manages and Organizes Information
- Manages Human Resources
- Organizational Awareness
- Teaches Others
- Technical Competence