Trades Technician I
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : $30,492.90 annually plus benefits
Web Announcement :
The George Mason University Office of Housing and Residence Life (OHRL) invites applications for a Groundskeeper position (the shift for this position will be weekdays). George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: The Groundskeeper, under supervision, performs a variety of manual duties in the development and maintenance of the grounds, drives, walks, and recreational and parking areas as directed within the campus housing residential areas. A complete work profile will be provided to the applicants selected for interviews. Duties include:
- Keeps residential area grounds, walks and drives clean by removing trash, garbage, and other debris;
- Responsible for the seeding, fertilizing, planting, watering, weeding, trimming, mulching and grooming of lawns, shrubbery and trees;
- Operates and handles various types of grounds maintenance equipment to include, but not limited to: power mowers, edgers, and power blowers;
- Operates light- or medium-weight trucks to pick up and deliver materials and supplies;
- Operates light- or medium-sized tractors and attachments used to maintain grounds;
- Loads and unloads furniture and other materials, and transports them to designated locations utilizing various equipment as needed;
- Assists in the preparation of grounds for special events;
- Performs a variety of semiskilled manual duties requiring a basic understanding and knowledge of techniques, tools, equipment, and safety precautions;
- Makes certain that equipment and vehicles are inspected daily to ensure that they are safe and in proper working order;
- Reports all matters of safety to Maintenance Supervisor and Lead Groundskeeper;
- Is considered an essential employee for the OHRL in regards to severe weather;
- Is required to work on weekends and evenings, as required; and
- Is subject to recall after hours in the event of campus emergencies, disasters, or other special needs as directed by management.
- Knowledge of standard grounds maintenance operations, and a familiarity with maintaining and using grounds equipment;
- Valid driverâ€™s license with a good driving record and must be insurable;
- Basic understanding and knowledge of techniques, tools, equipment, and safety precautions are required;
- Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures is required;
- Ability to safety and independently exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects;
- Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions;
- Visual acuity to operate motor vehicles, heavy equipment, and machinery;
- Ability to be subjected to both indoor and outdoor environmental conditions; and
- Ability to be subjected to hazards, vibrations, noise, atmospheric conditions and oils.
- High school education and related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Preference provided for candidates with prior residential university or multiresidential community maintenance experience; and
- Bilingual abilities (English/Spanish).
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 09498z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :